B B K A Yearbook

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

o.stjohn

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I only found out today that the B B K A publishes a Yeabook - which is couriered out to Divisions/Associations who get three copies. It has adverts and details of committee members etc.

BUT

Why is it still published at great expense and sent out at great expense when all the info is on the website? If just 3 people get it per Division what purpose does it actually serve? Apparently some put it in the Libraries.

Got a copy - let me know if you can find Brighton & Lewes in there. I couldn't!

Perhaps some people prefer to read things on paper: myself for one

Agreed - do you get a copy? Or even see one? Nor me. Unless those three copies are passed around then no-one else will get to read them. So at the very least lets have an online version...

I got one sent to me last year as an individual member, your welcome to have this year’s once I've had a flick through, otherwise it makes good smoker lighting material...

So at the very least lets have an online version...
Agree, I understand there was a practice of making the pdf available on the website a few years back, they seem to have taken a step back. That would cost virtually nothing and if there are advertisers, I'm sure they would be keener to repeat if there was better circulation.

I got one sent to me last year as an individual member, ...

I get a copy as an individual member

Aaah, so they also go out to all those individuals who join the BBKA direct, rather than through an Association?

How in that position are your views represented to the BBKA - associations being 'consulted' via the annual delegate meeting?
Or do you have the same voting power as an entire County Association?

Why is it still published at great expense and sent out at great expense when all the info is on the website? If just 3 people get it per Division what purpose does it actually serve? Apparently some put it in the Libraries.

Not sure the expense is that great. I understood that it was posted out. I believe that it contains info which is not on the website.

My tame committee member friend tells me that 3 copies are sent to each county and 3 to each branch and that they are intended for the Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. It is useful for contacting the appropriate people in other associations and those on various BBKA committees.

It is mentioned on the BBKA website and could be down-loaded from the passworded area until recently.

Got a copy - let me know if you can find Brighton & Lewes in there. I couldn't!

Maybe they didn't bother to tender a return in time (in spite of reminders)?

Much was taken out of general interest and put on the website. The more detailed contact lists are in the book and a few general bits - phone access is often rubbish in this country and not all have ipads and smartphones.

Aaah, so they also go out to all those individuals who join the BBKA direct, rather than through an Association?

How in that position are your views represented to the BBKA - associations being 'consulted' via the annual delegate meeting?
Or do you have the same voting power as an entire County Association?
a a foreigner I do not think that my views should be represented to the BBKA. I have no voting rights. I just support the parent Association.

Maybe they didn't bother to tender a return in time (in spite of reminders)?

Returns were co-ordinated by the Sussex County association and were submitted on time. We are unclear why they didn't appear in the published version.

Returns were co-ordinated by the Sussex County association and were submitted on time. We are unclear why they didn't appear in the published version.

Would have been simple enough to have the details sent out to secretaries for adding in via the office if it was an error - rather than grumbling months later.

But I don't agree with County heirarchy so can't fairly comment.

Not sure the expense is that great. I understood that it was posted out. I believe that it contains info which is not on the website.

My tame committee member friend tells me that 3 copies are sent to each county and 3 to each branch and that they are intended for the Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. It is useful for contacting the appropriate people in other associations and those on various BBKA committees.

It is mentioned on the BBKA website and could be down-loaded from the passworded area until recently.
It is couriered out - maybe (hopefully!) that was cheaper than Royal Mail.
So it goes to just three people in the Branch - how can that be useful to the membership as a whole unless a version is in the (passworded) area of the BBKA website? Which it isn't.
If the info was on the website (in whatever form) then that would be just as useful for contacting the appropriate people in other associations and those on various BBKA committees. :rolleyes:

Oliver - you can contact Secretaries easily through the BBKA website. They can then direct enquiries to the relevant person in their branch. It is simply not fair to expect volunteers to be ontap randomly by phone 24/7 365 days of the year to everyone.

If you have specific legit reasons to contact anyone they can be forwarded through the office.

Why are you so keen to have a long list of addresses anyhow? Something tells me this exact same issue appeared last year on a forum or FB.

Oliver - you can contact Secretaries easily through the BBKA website. They can then direct enquiries to the relevant person in their branch. It is simply not fair to expect volunteers to be ontap randomly by phone 24/7 365 days of the year to everyone.

If you have specific legit reasons to contact anyone they can be forwarded through the office.

Why are you so keen to have a long list of addresses anyhow? Something tells me this exact same issue appeared last year on a forum or FB.
Personally I don't want to contact anyone - I am just trying to understand the logic of producing a yearbook and sending it out to a just a few people in the Country when we have a perfectly useable (!) website that is both up-to-date and free?

Personally I don't want to contact anyone - I am just trying to understand the logic of producing a yearbook and sending it out to a just a few people in the Country when we have a perfectly useable (!) website that is both up-to-date and free?

See post 15 :)

Because:-
(1) Some people don't have access to the internet.
(2) Some people prefer to use a paper copy [which you can write on] rather than checking the BBKA website everytime you want information.
(3) The yearbook collects together information from a variety of places.
(4) The yearbook contains information not available on the website.

Because:-
(1) Some people don't have access to the internet.
(2) Some people prefer to use a paper copy [which you can write on] rather than checking the BBKA website everytime you want information.
(3) The yearbook collects together information from a variety of places.
(4) The yearbook contains information not available on the website.
1. Most do these days. Or have friends/a library with access.
2. Agreed but any book is out-of-date the moment it's published
3. Yeah but couldn't the same info be put on the website?
4. But it could be put on the website, couldn't it?

Oh get a life, :judge: its only a reference book for info for relevant people on the Divisional committees.... I prefer to put my energies into getting healthy bees and good out apiaries.. much more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back