Australian & English Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofferyh

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to bee-keeping. We have two hives

1: With an English Queen
2: With an Australian Queen

The English hive is weaker than the Australian hive, does anybody know if it is ok to swop frames than contain eggs to the English hive?

Thanks Everyone!

You don't say what other difference there are in the queens (Buckfast v local mongrel, carnolian etc) buttransferring a frame over shouldn't make any significant difference - the queen dictates the characteristics of the colony - The workers are only there for a (comparatively) short while anyway - if your hive is weaker it's because (as long as there is no other underlying problem) the quen is not as productive as the other one. As soon as the brood in the frame you have transferred have emerged you are left with an empty frame full of young bees which needs to be laid up again (by your slower queen) Just have patience and see what develops.

Hi Thanks for this, sorry I should have said they are Carnolian Queens and the British ones are dark British Bees. The two hives are new and we just trying to get them strong

Thankyou!

Get them playing cricket, the English hive will be way better than the Australian one then... ;)

Native-type bees will fare better in this - the most challenging - beekeeping season in 40/50/70 years (delete as applicable locally). Native bees produce better in bad years and worse in the best generally.

An idea of location will help with future posts Geoffery. And welcome :)

That is interesting Susbees, I never knew that - I will let you know how they fare - And I certainly think cricket is a better idea than tennis!

Native-type bees will fare better in this - the most challenging - beekeeping season in 40/50/70 years (delete as applicable locally). Native bees produce better in bad years and worse in the best generally.

Not always so. Our native and near native are our worst by a country mile this year. The NZ carnica stock are performing very nicely. True in all the areas we are working in from Aberdeenshire down to Hereford etc. (If anyone on here was at our visit days at Tillington in May or Down Ampney only last weekend they may care to confirm this independently.)

Produced way more honey, swarm preparations much less, peaceful and easy to work.

Wish I could say the same about the A.m.m. and similar stock, but no. Low production, high swarming (actually quite unprecedented instability, even drawing cells on test frames when you subsequently could actually SEE the queen running). Slow mating, although that is now rapidly rectifying itself, but too late really for bumper colonies for the heather.

What native bees are best at is surviving. They can cope as a species with the local weather in all its colours, but that does not mean they are the best for keeping. I know its heresy on here, and I know that there are many unsuitable stocks in this country of types only good in very different climatic zones, but to say non local bees are a bad thing is quite untrue, and if the bee can cope with our weather, and is productive and even tempered, then its suitable in my book, irrespective of where it came from.

Not in dispute is the 'challenging season' bit. Way back in March I was being called depressive and a 'jonah' for not getting a wiggle on in the freak weather spell and declining even to break comb until nearer the normal time. There was a bill coming for that weather, and the extreme swarming has its origins back then. Its the kind of freak conditions that means 'locally adapted' is actually some of the least adapted to the pattern that came along. No bee evolves to fit a one in a hundred weather pattern.

Latest posts

Back