August nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Nother

Increasingly addicted!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I'm thinking of creating a nuc to bolster the number of colonies I have going into the winter. Thinking of taking some frames with eggs and stores from a strong hive and letting them raise a new queen. However, is it very late to then expect her to successfully mate once hatched? Will be into September by the time she goes on her mating flights. Is this too late and will there be enough drones around? There are still drone cells in my hives though one (just one) hive has been kicking out a few drones. Is my idea good or daft? Thanks!

Hi, I'm thinking of creating a nuc to bolster the number of colonies I have going into the winter. Thinking of taking some frames with eggs and stores from a strong hive and letting them raise a new queen. However, is it very late to then expect her to successfully mate once hatched? Will be into September by the time she goes on her mating flights. Is this too late and will there be enough drones around? There are still drone cells in my hives though one (just one) hive has been kicking out a few drones. Is my idea good or daft? Thanks!
Although at the moment bees are busily superseding which would mean they think there's plenty of time, you must also consider that when you are trying to get the bees to stuff the nuc full of brood, you will also be trying to get them to stuff the nuc full of stores.

Although at the moment bees are busily superseding which would mean they think there's plenty of time, you must also consider that when you are trying to get the bees to stuff the nuc full of brood, you will also be trying to get them to stuff the nuc full of stores.
Thanks for that - I guess I wold be feeding them for sure give the flow is really done and dusted here in this part of Ireland.

Will the weather be good? That is your key question.
Good enough for Q to mate?
Good enough for bees to expand?
Round here it is a gamble I for onw would not take - based on past - failed - experience

Make your nuc and install a mated queen.
That's what I would do at this time of the year, no messing around with raising their own. My nucs at this time of the year consist of a mated queen , 3 frames of emerging brood and 3 frames of mixed stores/pollen to ensure there is enough to feed everyone.

You could try it and if it isnt working out just reunite them.

I tried this last week; made up a nuc extra strong, or so I thought, and set the entrance at the minimum.
Unfortunately, it became an instant magnet for robbers and wasps.
I removed it after three days, as no sign of queen making and I didn't want robbing behaviour in the apiary. They wouldnt have lasted anyway. All quiet now.

I have a nucleus I will be checking this week for signs of a queen, plenty of drones still around, only just a few days into August.

Latest posts

Back