Auction site?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because there are two ways of selling.

For sale.

For sale by auction.

Or am I missing something very simple?

PH

lol yes you are... buy it now only auctions are essentially for sale adds are they not?

A bit called private sale , simple to add.
Bid 4 has it ,i believe. why have 2 sections when all traffic could be in 1 place .

lol yes you are... buy it now only auctions are essentially for sale adds are they not?

having said that it does remove the ability to say no to someone you don't want to sell to, so i don't think adds forum section should be removed, it adds the ability for someone to agree to sell to someone they want to..

for example someone wanting bees sent into a varroa free area would complain if the seller on the auction refused to allow them to collect.. or someone may want to ask questions of potential buyers first..

in which case they could set thair add to an obsene figure and link to their thread on their buy it now only advert. then only the perosn agreed on the forum would ever bid on it knowing the money to be paid is actually less....

unless the "auction" site could have a request to buy now button, allowing the seller to ask questions before accepting the buyer...

dunoooooooo

I know the most popular auction site doesn't allow livestock but there are places like bidfor bees (I was trying to avoid advertising). But I really believe we could make a site associated with this group into a successful auction place - perhaps even the No 1 for bees / bee accessories - because this forum comes up in so many bee related searches.

Tricia

having said that it does remove the ability to say no to someone you don't want to sell to, so i don't think adds forum section should be removed, it adds the ability for someone to agree to sell to someone they want to..

for example someone wanting bees sent into a varroa free area would complain if the seller on the auction refused to allow them to collect.. or someone may want to ask questions of potential buyers first..

I'm not sure it does remove the right to refuse to sell ... A contract (for sale) is not completed until the seller has accepted the "offer" by the purchaser. This is true even in a high street store. A purchaser offers the retailer 58p for the chocolate bar, the retailer accepts the offer and the contract is completed. The seller can "not accept" the offer for any reason (except where it might contravene some other law such as discrimination law.)

The prospective purchaser might complain, but it might not be upheld!

How did the sale of bees go in the end? Was there more interest this time?

I hadn't thought about the issue that there may be people we don't think we should sell to... I suppose using the auction process makes it more tricky not to sell to people who might either not look after the bees properly or who might be a hazzard to their neighbours.

They were sold on a "Buy it now" basis with in five hours due I suspect to the publicity.

I am pleased, and I suspect the buyer will be tonight when he sees them.

PH

I'm not sure it does remove the right to refuse to sell ... A contract (for sale) is not completed until the seller has accepted the "offer" by the purchaser. This is true even in a high street store. A purchaser offers the retailer 58p for the chocolate bar, the retailer accepts the offer and the contract is completed. The seller can "not accept" the offer for any reason (except where it might contravene some other law such as discrimination law.)

The prospective purchaser might complain, but it might not be upheld!

while i agree in theory, the problem with not expecting people to complete is it sets a presidence for people to then refuse on true autions siting some reason or other why they don't want to sell..

i've had it a few times on ebay now.. e.g won a wrought iron king size bed for £1.25.. mysteriously after two months of trying to arrange to pick up from someone only a few villages away and them not being available i gave up and left them negative feedback. similarly people have said items were broken after the sale is complete, or wifes told me i can't sell etc.

to me these are all negaaitve feedbackable offences. but not wanting to sell to someone who is irresponcible or who you feel has not learned enough to give your bees a good home yet, is justifiable.. however that person may not feel the same and having negative feedback especially in the early days of the auction site is not a good thing

having something definite on the listing saying to go to forum to be approved before bidding removes at least one excuse, allows questions to be asked and answered openly (as far as i can see there isn't a questions/answers bit on there.

i suspect that is why ebay stays out of livestock except fish. you can just imagine somoene winning a pedegree dog wanting to breed it, then the owner refusing to sell to them. not worth the hassle imho

They were sold on a "Buy it now" basis with in five hours due I suspect to the publicity.

I am pleased, and I suspect the buyer will be tonight when he sees them.

PH
Picked up the nuc I bought from PH last night. Thanks for all the advice and the help in transferring them. It's great when someone who knows that much is happy to help. Bees look great and really looking forward to watching them develop into a full colony. Would 100% recommend to anyone else

Would it help matters if the "Beekeeping Auction" button was top right instead of bottom left on the web page?

I hardly ever scroll that far down the page, only to the last post on a page.

One for Admin to ponder.

It was at first top right them migrated down to bottom left as the site was under used and I think me included people kept clicking on it by mistake and became a bit annoying.

I think it may be a good idea to move it from its own domain to a subfolder of the forum.

That way members will stay on the forum when clicking through and will realise its part of the site and not an advert.

Also like has been said it may be a good idea to put the banner higher up the page.

If it was moved to it's own folder would that mean I could see on my phone using tapatalk instead of going to the main site
Chris

Latest posts

Back