Auction in Haye on wye

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Just got home from a very well run auction. About 100 lots of bees in hives I got mine for £160 the hive is in good condition and very well tempered bees. The average price of them was about £160-£190 although some did go out side these prices either way. There were loads of empty hives, supers and feeders there as well. As usual some items went for more than new price lol.

Last edited:
I went.... Funny how most were sold either as a pile of supers or two broods with a lid. Pushing one to buy two lots to get one hive. A mate and I went halves, so we got a new hive each...... Prices were through the roof, and as Veg said some stuff going for more than new. Well run auction, though not too impressed with the lots... Did not stay for the live bee hives.

And £4.50 for a cheese burger!!!!!! Good grief.

Was going to go to go and have a mosie over that way but had to work. Would have been good to go though.

You going to get the bees inspected when they have settled in?

If you went you would know that they have all been inspected pre-sale, this was a commercial beekeeper scaling down

Overall a lot of kit, most of it reasonable quality, no real bargains. Hives in fair condition typically £60. Some stuff like QE's etc were going at almost new prices.!

!00 or so lots of bees! I only stayed for the first few lots but typically £200.

Although some with virgin Q's nil brood fetched £180!

Well run auction.

There was no ryme or reason for the prices that the live bee's made,

A single brood + 1 super, with 7 frames of bees of which 3 frames were brood made £310 :eek:, the next lot a double brood + 2 Supers with 22 frames of bees of which 17 frames were brood i bought for £200:cool:

Was very well run and initial inspections show the stocks i bought to be in great condition although a few frames could do with changing, but it looks like they have been kept to a high standard.

It did make me chuckle when brood frames and brood boxes were going for nearly double cost price (granted that was the odd lot).

Long way to go but luckily had a stag do to go to in Hereford last night so killed 2 birds with one stone :hurray:

C B

auction missed

Hi,
I wish I had been there, we are looking to increase, does anyone know of others this year?PLEASE!!

Checked the bees I bought and am very happy with them. Very calm ok for stores and will be getting a super next visit.

your quite right Mike not Many bargains when you think apart from the bees everything else had 20 percent vat plus buyers a premium of 5 percent plus vat on the buyers premium I spent £55 + vat £11.00 + buyers premium £2.75 + vat .55p = £69.30 makes a big difference. Just think how much the bill for the extractor would be with quite a few pieces missing and making £750 plus vat plus premium plus vat on premium

I echo the above. Installed my hive, my first one after completing a local course. Within a day there were many bees to be seen returning with pollen. I changed the floor to a varroa one on day two and gave them some sugar syrup, the listing having described the hive as having low stores. Plan to open them up in a couple of days. First impressions are that they are hardworking and friendly. £180 paid for brood and a half with 11 frames of bees and 7 frames of brood plus stores. A fair price I feel. I also noticed that the bidding went above new prices on many lots. I also bagged 7 supers for £50, 7 clearer board for £35 and 5 wire queen excluders for £25 which I was please with.

Latest posts

Back