At what temp and wind speed/chill will bees bring in from OSR or others

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 ish
Hi All

Been sitting here looking at the weather trying to estimate what might be happening in hives 15 + miles away.

I have seen a few comments about at what temperature bees will 'effectively' pull in nectar from OSR or other sources.

So it would be really helpful in looking at weather forecasts if I know at what temp and wind conditions they start to pull it in. I can then see if we get any days like that at all........

any one have good experience / knowledge on this.

Many thanks

Hi All

Been sitting here looking at the weather trying to estimate what might be happening in hives 15 + miles away.

I have seen a few comments about at what temperature bees will 'effectively' pull in nectar from OSR or other sources.

So it would be really helpful in looking at weather forecasts if I know at what temp and wind conditions they start to pull it in. I can then see if we get any days like that at all........

any one have good experience / knowledge on this.

Many thanks

My experience of OSR
Pollen is available whatever the temperature, it only needs to be fine enough for them to fly and get it.
Nectar secretion is more complex, the plant needs energy and warmth to produce nectar, but if its been nice for a while for a few days the plants will have latent or stored energy and a little nectar will be available ( assuming its not been washed out). Obviously, given the plants have water, the warmer it is the better for nectar production.
I visited some bees last week which were bringing in a limited amount of nectar at about 10c and a coldish wind of about 10-12mph, whether it had been nicer there in the morning before my visit I dont know.

I'm afraid it is a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

I think there are far too many factors that vary including but not limited to
temp / wind chill
moisture air + soil
soil type
OSR variation
etc.

I personally have found my hives filling with nectar when others have said it is far too cold for a flow. At the same time it can be warm but when there has been no rain for a long time the micro-drought also affects the flow.

The only guaranteed method of prediction is to look into the supers!

That is my experience anyway.

ahh

thanks for the info just down to checking them then.

weather strange at mo its been a really sunny day temps should have been through the roof but just been out at 19.30 and there air temp has really dropped off.

I don't think you get full nectar flow until 15 degrees but in full sun this will be temperature at flower level in sunshine and not ambient temperature. You could find some sheltered plants producing nectar long before plants in a cold wind!

Latest posts

Back