Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of expert advice and debate on there.
Hoping the NBU will get someone on to it tomorrow as it does seem to tick all the boxes.
Would be nice to get it down and off to the lab for investigation.
I think there will be a lot of potential sightings and areas to monitor in the spring

This is extremely difficult to say, but i would say, on balance, its either a wasps nest or a common hornet.
Yes its unusual because its a single nest, high up in the tree canopy. However, it seems to be deserted, and lots of our nests still have a few workers around. the colour of the nest isn't typical of the Asian hornet. The size and shape is more of a v shape rather than a fatter oval shape of the Asian hornets typical nest and overall its not very big, looking at the size compared to the buds and twigs on the oak tree.

This nest needs to be removed and identified! if its an Asian nest, you've got a job on your hands next year indeed.:eek:

Last edited:
Dolichovespula nest, pretty sure it's been confirmed.

Digit extraction

I think it's time the NBU got its finger out.

The heads up about winter food stores was useful.

It's a pity they haven't drawn our attention to their January update on the Asian hornet.

I feel like telling the inspector to " P*** Off " next time he wants a sample ( or set up a triangulation station ).

It's a pity they haven't drawn our attention to their January update on the Asian hornet.

Indeed no email update this

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/News/news.cfm#181

January 2017 - Asian hornet in the UK: Update and Request for Heightened Vigilance.

maybe they have sent it out to the beekeepers within the area on the map?

downloadNews.cfm

Indeed no email update this

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/News/news.cfm#181

January 2017 - Asian hornet in the UK: Update and Request for Heightened Vigilance.

maybe they have sent it out to the beekeepers within the area on the map?

downloadNews.cfm

IMO they should be shouting from the Rooftops to ensure with the advent of spring , all are primed to watchout for this threat. Can be sure , or would guess there is a fair chance there are others overwintering. Maybe wrong...Hopefully.. but highly possible. Then for us it is only a matter of time and a short hop across the Irish sea, or a comfortable journey in a plant pot or other such dry goods consignment.

IMO they should be shouting from the Rooftops to ensure with the advent of spring , all are primed to watchout for this threat. Can be sure , or would guess there is a fair chance there are others overwintering. Maybe wrong...Hopefully.. but highly possible. Then for us it is only a matter of time and a short hop across the Irish sea, or a comfortable journey in a plant pot or other such dry goods consignment.

If they find them in spring they are here to stay.

If they find them in spring they are here to stay.

If they find them in spring , it'll be the queens they are finding. So I wouldn't be so sure.
Given how easily it gets here( am I right in thinking it didn't come in from France anyway ?) I imagine we'll all be learning how to deal with them before long.

I feel like telling the inspector to " P*** Off " next time he wants a sample ( or set up a triangulation station ).

Updates and advice for the coming season when out to registered Beekeepers within the risk areas from last years incursion.
This was the priority at risk area so was done first.
A general update and advice is next.
The NBU run on a skeleton staff over the winter

Latest posts

Back