Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So with that advice, the common hornet (Vespa Crabbo) is set for a pasting next year then!!
Surely it would be more logical to the use of non selective traps in a radius from the "area 45" (the Tetbury nest) and in the areas far from the destroyed nest, aka the rest of the uk, selective traps.
i had thought the NBY were issuing diagrams of traps with this in mind!! change of goal posts??

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=13685&stc=1&d=1477589302

The drawing that I saw of the NBU's trap showed that it could be used in either mode - selective or not selective - if the person making the trap followed the (pretty poor) instructions. I had to read the instructions and study the illustrations several times to understand what was intended. What was completely missing was any indication as to how the thing should be used and in what circumstances you would go selective and non-selective.

Nice first attempt, NBU - must try harder!

CVB

Nice first attempt, NBU - must try harder!

CVB
There was a lot more stuff on the stand today and it was mobbed.
Yesterday we were looking at this trap and it was difficult to see the difference between selective and non selective action even on a live model. One thing I was told was that the hornets have very sensitive wings which is why they won't go through a small hole. You have to make the hole much larger for them to even use it.

As Karol said earlier in this thread, its the beekeepers that will be the foot soldiers of this problem

With the greatest respect the vast majority of the public arent able to differentiate a Bumble for a Honey bee.
Its up to beekeepers to help educate everyone else if they want to keep this at bay for as long as possible.

I was horrified last week when my son, on the permanent staff of Somerset Wild Life Trust, and keeper of a Warré hive (totally unmanaged btw, not on Beebase etc - despite/because of my frequent exhortations :beatdeadhorse5:) told me he had never heard of the Asian hornet threat. I admonished him in a suitably fatherly way.
WLTs are very insect-orientated (well, Suffolk WLT is - for ever discovering rare moths and beetles) - it would be good if they were appraised nationally of the problem. Their helping in surveillance would be valuable. What to do?

My thoughts as well, a bit far from its original area

Andrew

Yes that's what I was told. Maybe they can't find a suitable entomologist to make a diagnosis on the nest. I worry that gardeners not beekeepers will start putting spring traps out.

I doubt it, I bet most have forgotten all about it and a high percentage probably never knew about it.

Will keep an eye out for you tomorrow if you are still going to the NHS.

To be fair I don't think many people will know the difference between the two

Most people don't know the difference between a honey bee and a wasp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair I don't think many people will know the difference between the two

Most people don't know the difference between a honey bee and a wasp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but the pictures, emphasising the atmosphere of Post Trauma (and possible large compensation bid :cheers2:), just set me off!:svengo:

Latest posts

Back