Asian hornet, and floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polomadh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Really good article in the bbka magazine this month about Asian hornet, and the use of the modified floor which is commercially available to trap wasps etc name escapes me), and the use of mouse guards.
It got me thinking as I use home made modified dartington floor (underfloor entrance... whatever you want to call it) on all my hives to stop wasps robbing my out-apiaries, and they are really effective. Would the narrow entrance and right angle effectively prevent AH completely robbing out a hive?
Obviously it isn't going to prevent them hawking returning foragers, but would mean that house bees are safe.

My underfloor entrances would prevent any hornet entering as too narrow in the vertical... one beespace.

Really good article in the bbka magazine this month about Asian hornet, and the use of the modified floor which is commercially available to trap wasps etc name escapes me), and the use of mouse guards.
It got me thinking as I use home made modified dartington floor (underfloor entrance... whatever you want to call it) on all my hives to stop wasps robbing my out-apiaries, and they are really effective. Would the narrow entrance and right angle effectively prevent AH completely robbing out a hive?
Obviously it isn't going to prevent them hawking returning foragers, but would mean that house bees are safe.

Asian hornets dont attack hives as such, they hawk outside until there are no bees left, then they might rob the remaining honey but the bees usually get there first. The Asian hornet floors are a con!

http://www.vita-europe.com/products/apishield-hornet-trap/ ?

Latest posts

Back