Ashford or Miller feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Thinking of making some less hassle feeders for next year, which one would you consider the best type and why.

Ashforth are easier to knock up. Millers are perhaps a little faster for the bees, so I believe.

I made ashforth type. Not used them for at least 5 years. :rolleyes: Might need to this year.

As above , plus if you go for 4 inch timber for the sides it will hold enough syrup to fill the hungriest of hives . Saves you going back time and time again .

G

One has the dam at the side and one in the middle so the odds really are how askew the hives are from the level.

When I was working heather I used Ashforths to feed after the hives were stripped and they took near 4 gallons as I recall, and the ground I had the stands on was a long slope so nothing was really level.

I'd be inclined to go for that pattern as a Miller would have one half over full and the other more empty than useful.

PH

I use Miller feeders for the reason PH explained and I use a level to see which is the low side of the hive before placing the feeders...

So is there a full width feeder that has a viewing section so you can see if it needs filling without taking the lid off?

My Ashforth feeders don't have lids - I just remove the hive roof and refill them.
At one side, there's a perspex strip under which the bees are visible when they're feeding. :)

My Ashforth feeders don't have lids - I just remove the hive roof and refill them.
At one side, there's a perspex strip under which the bees are visible when they're feeding. :)

My MB poly lang ashforth has these wee perspex bits. Its really cool to see them all lined up like pigs at a trough when I go out at night to fill it.

As a bolt on if you are using poly feeders they can be turned upside down to hold a decent block of fondant.

I frankly dinna understand this "need"" to see the bees. Addicted per chance?

PH

Addicted?
Not a chance.
I can give up beekeeping any time I choose.
No, really...

:biggrinjester:

I use both but as my hives slope slightly to the front I prefer the Ashford.
I keep a feeder on each hive throughout the year replacing the crownboard so if they need a gal. or two they can have it straight away.
Most contact feeders are to small for purpose and need topping up every day or so, you also need extra kit, empty supers etc to accommodate them.
They are cheap to make and will last years.

As a bolt on if you are using poly feeders they can be turned upside down to hold a decent block of fondant.

I frankly dinna understand this "need"" to see the bees. Addicted per chance?

PH

Not seem them much this "summer" so it is nice in a while !

I forgot about that inverting for fondant trick - brillant suggestion.

Just checked my hive with the green National Jumbo feeder on (£23). Always stored flat with the lid on.
It seems that the sides of the feeder have bowed inwards- allowing bees access to the syrup, from under the roof sides- -- a lot of dead bees where the syrup was - cannot afford that loss at this time of the year, dammit!

Have stuffed all sides with grass- but maybe it is a design fault.

Just checked my hive with the green National Jumbo feeder on (£23). Always stored flat with the lid on.
It seems that the sides of the feeder have bowed inwards- allowing bees access to the syrup, from under the roof sides- -- a lot of dead bees where the syrup was - cannot afford that loss at this time of the year, dammit!

Have stuffed all sides with grass- but maybe it is a design fault.
Sounds like a materials fault, the plastic distorts at operational temperatures. If it's a recent buy I'd contact the seller. In the meantime, I'd probably try clingfilm.

Clingfilm -great idea- bought from P....s last year seemed ok then- and it hasn't been hot, this year... or did I miss it!

No legs- if you go on P....s website it is the green feeder- acts like a super

Me thinks a design fault. Poly in my experience does not distort in use or out, it's as solid as timber in the right format.

I have 6 of the swienty top feeders and they are rigid.

Phone the makers and complain formally. Not fit for purpose.

PH

Not used the Paynes one I acquired recently so will look out for distortion. Just making my own Ashforth - 46x46cm ply square with pine sides. Will waterproof with white gloss...

R2

Provided the joints are neat, (in the technical sense) and the glue is exterior waterproof the job will hold fluids.

PH

Latest posts

Back