AS advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi O9O
was this question directed at me or not?
All the best

Hi O9O
was this question directed at me or not?
All the best

Je ne compende pas Expandez s'il vous plait!

In other words, I have not a clue what you are on about!

Regards?, RAB

There are a couple of issues here worth remarking on.

I would not leave a sealed cell in an AS situation. Only the very youngest I can find and if there are none then I would leave them none provided there are young grubs.

I would never "just" give the Queen and bees foundation only. As remarked already it is a major barrier. I would give them on EACH SIDE of the brood frame she is found on empty drawn combs to lay up. The rest can be foundation and a frame feeder with one to one syrup.

PH

Poly , about the not leaving a sealed cell, I'm not so sure. Why not leave all the cells and leave it to the bees to choose - bees now best !
Of coarse, this is assuming the hive with the cells and the brood is switched round to the other side of the original site after a week to further deplete their population and lessening the chance they might throw a cast

Still not sure what to do.

I've been through them again today - definitely no queen in the new hive - and they are pretty cross about it. They don't have any young brood now so can't make emergency queen.

My current thinking is to take another frame of brood with 2 QCs from the original hive and put it in the new hive. Does that sound like a good idea or will the Bs not take to the sudden appearance of QCs?

Or, should I just wait until there is a mated queen in the original hive then combine them? It strikes me that if I move a couple of QCs into the new hive then there is double the chance of getting at least one mated queen between them then if necessary I can combine them.

What do you think? Please don't keep telling me what you would have done because what's done is done and I could do with some help moving on from where I am now.

Thanks

Why MBC because they will cast and cast again.

Leaving just a very young cell helps take them off "the boil" as it were and cools the swarming ardour.

That is why.

PH

I think the original hive swarmed this afternoon. I was called to attend to a swarm just up the road, and they are Carni's like mine. I can't be certain of course, but when I looked in the original hive this PM there is an emerged queen cell. So I've taken decisive action:

1. Removed a frame of brood + one QC to the queenless hive;
2. Taken one QC and placed with a cupful of Bs in an Apidea (bought at the Gloucester auction last weekend);
3. Destroyed all remaining QCs except one unsealed one containing a fat larvae.

Fortunately there is stacks of sealed worker brood.

These Carnis are a bit troublesome aren't they. My other colony of Italian type Bs seem to be much less inclined to swarm - I went through them yesterday and not one QC or even any play cups, and they are currently filling their third super.

Why MBC because they will cast and cast again.

Leaving just a very young cell helps take them off "the boil" as it were and cools the swarming ardour.

That is why.

PH

My bees wouldnt . Just goes to show how different bees react differently to similar manipulations.
All beekeeping is local - all beekeepers are loco !

Latest posts

Back