article in The Independant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brosville beat me to it: it doesn't help that when you Google "Zyklon" you get a load of results for Zyklon B, a Scandinavian Black Metal Band!

Actually, there is some doubt as to the lettering system of Zyklon gas, I was looking for what "A" might have been used for and found this:

...However, Hilberg was in error. There were only two variants of the commercial product Zyklon, A and B, and the variation was in the method of delivery of the HCN gas.

Zyklon-A consisted of HCN in liquid form, and was designed for spraying onto fruit trees to kill insect pests. For this purpose each tree was enclosed in a tent, to maintain the concentration of HCN in the air surrounding the tree for a sufficient time to kill the pests.

Zyklon-B consisted of HCN adsorbed into a carrier, typically a form of gravel, or a round piece of cardboard, which released the gas when exposed to the air. It was designed for delousing the inside of buildings, and its main advantage was that it released the HCN gradually, thereby reducing the risk to the handlers.

from http://www.fpp.co.uk/HNet/ZyklonABC.html

Isn't it a seed dressing?

My understanding is that it is, and I believe the term is "systemic", meaning the product is "built-in" to the seed, which in turn means it is built-in to the plant as it grows, and leeches into the soil, and stays there for ages.

Then again, aren't Monsanto as guilty as Bayer on this (please correct me if I am wrong!) ?

Monsanto certainly seem to have more of a hate following than Bayer as far as I can tell.

I have to sign off now, the black van parked opposite my house has just had its 3rd delivery of Pizza today... :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

DorsetB said:
I have to sign off now, the black van parked opposite my house has just had its 3rd delivery of Pizza today...

Don't joke . . . A member of the Softrock40 Yahoo Group (for Software Defined Radios) recently had a knock on the door mid morning and the man said that he had a delivery for him and could he come outside to sign for it. It was a warrant and outside he found himself face to face with FBI and USPS officials pointing guns at him.

He was told that he was being arrested for dealing in weapons of mass destruction (he made and sends out SDR kits all over the world, as do several other Amateur Radio designers.

He was told that he was unlikely to get bail and was popped into the local cooler for a couple of days as well as being up before the local judge.

He eventually got bail after two days and as all his computer gear and anything of interest had been impounded by the Feds and his house given a good spin, then he made his way to Wall Mart, bought a netbook and was asking to get de-registered from the Softrock40 Group as fast as was humanly possible.

In a word ITAR. Now that is red tape.

Back