Arnia Hive Monitor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm. Thanks. Cheap certainly. Outdoor rugged, I wonder. Also just a bit surprised that the spec sheet seems to list the creep after one minute. I do wonder how much it might deform after being under continuous load for several months ... ?

From what I've read, it stabilizes quite quickly. On top of that, with the two sides of the Wheatstone Bridge set up opposite to each other, that variance apparently goes away.

As for weatherproofing, I had one last season which I took down towards the end of the year to get ready for this next version. You can see a little description here - the key weatherproofing mechanism was tupperware and Tec-7 :)

See: coolfore.com/how.html

I did read a post elsewhere that suggested that rather then being concerned about the actual weight of the hive at the time the reading was taken you're better off looking at the weight change since the last measurement. That way the impact of creep is lessened as it's over a 12/24hr (or however frequently you sample at) time period rather then since 'day zero'.

Last edited:
I had one of the Arnia devices, gave up with it, never worked properly inconsistent readings, loss of connection between devices Slave and Master - put it down to experience of total waste of money! Could have bought 2 hives for same price!!

I did read a post elsewhere that suggested that rather then being concerned about the actual weight of the hive at the time the reading was taken you're better off looking at the weight change since the last measurement. That way the impact of creep is lessened as it's over a 12/24hr (or however frequently you sample at) time period rather then since 'day zero'.
correct
If you log the rate of change I. E. Kg /hour kg/day and measurement interval isn't too long. Then the drift error will be a small

I had one of the Arnia devices, gave up with it, never worked properly inconsistent readings, loss of connection between devices Slave and Master - put it down to experience of total waste of money! Could have bought 2 hives for same price!!

Well if you're going to skip it....... :)

Wakey wakey

Thought I might wake this thread up
Has anybody still got one of these set ups and has it at all proved useful?

Thought I might wake this thread up
Has anybody still got one of these set ups and has it at all proved useful?

Nope sitting in shed gathering dust got one master unit and two hive sensors with temp sensor if anyone wants to buy them would be a case of speaking to them tho as needs an account with them.

Latest posts

Back