Are the bees telling me they are queenless?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 days ago I caught a swarm and hived it in a national brood box. I added a frame of brood and plenty of drawn frames.

Today I went to feed them a 1 to 1 syrup.

What I am not sure about is there were about 20 to 30 bees fanning madly with the bottoms up at the entrance. I thought they would have settled down by now.

I have not looked for a queen yet as I thought it would be better to leave it a week. I did peep inside and the hive is still full.

Is this normal after a swarm capture that bees fan like this after 3 days?

Cliff

Orientation flights going on and 'bees-at-home' doing what comes naturally, I would imagine. You would no doubt get other signals if the hive was Q-. Remember that the weather has been pretty nasty so they may not have had chance to get out much.

No brood yet so treat with oxalic now!!!

You have there a brood frame. If they do not make queen cells, they have a queen. Take it easy. It is not end ow world.

as the above post, if the weather was good and it was the middle of the day (any time from 10 to 4) then it could well be mating time if you have a virgin.

I spotted a queen returning at about 6pm the other day

Times are hard at the moment, them having to be out on the streets that late in the day!

Ha, yes it had been a poor morning but a good afternoon. I spotted some unusual activity with lots if drones returning and while leaning over one hive and watching the entrance I saw her land and walk in.

Latest posts

Back