Are my MAQS defective?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd101k2000

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am a beginner beekeeper.. but I decided to use MAQS this year. I ordered them a few days ago and decided to apply them today. I am aware that the paper should be left on as a wick, so I know that is not the problem.

When I opened up the strips at the hive, by cutting through the plastic coating, there did not appear to be two strips, but just a mass of glutinous, slightly yellow, foul smelling gloop. Even having watched the video on applying them, there did not seem to be paper separating the stuff (when, in the video it fell into two neat strips). I am wondering if they had become squashed in transit and the stuff that should be inside the paper had been squashed out.

Anyway, I had read that some bee keepers use a single strip. I had also read the NOD site that also mentioned this use. So, I put the whole glutinous mass into the centre of the hive on top of the bottom brood box.

I did the same on the second hive.

An hour later there is no bearding. Listening to one hive there is more fanning than usual.

I'm not even sure what questions to ask... should I panic? seems like a good start! I did put the whole of the MAQS in, so any wicking effect the paper should have should still work.

BTW I looked at Beebase and it says that MAQS is a fumigant, rather than a medicine, so you do not need to keep the same records.

:hairpull:

It sounds as though you might have been over-keen in unwrapping them.

There is a loose clear plastic outer wrapper. That is the only thing you should open.
What you see through the clear plastic are the "strips". There is no other packaging.

The "strips" are actually gloop wrapped up in what looks like wet paper, but is supposed to be much more technical than mere paper.

The idea is that you never touch the gloop. Wash it thoroughly off your gloves and anything else that it may have contacted.

You can smell if they are working with you put them on.

I suppose that when I watched the video the two 'strips' just fell apart. Mine just went 'gloop'. They definitely smelled as if they were working. 'Breath-taking' is the appropriate word. Thanks for the replies.

There was much washing afterwards.

I don't intend using MAQS just yet, as I've heard some horror stories. Depending on the general feedback from others after a full season of use I may decide to use on one colony as a trial.

My MAQS have been on about 16 hours. There is no bearding (but it is still a little chilly). Bees seem to be working like normal with a modest increase in graveyard duty. (There is one 'nearly ready to hatch' larva on the left hive landing board.) Checked the bottom boards. Both hives (before) managed a drop of 0.5 to 1 varroa per day. Right hive has about 10. Left hive has about 50!

I don't intend using MAQS just yet, as I've heard some horror stories. Depending on the general feedback from others after a full season of use I may decide to use on one colony as a trial.
What horror stories? General view of the feedback so far sounds quite favourable IMO.

I haven't been able to get into the hives to see what has happened yet.. but one hive has had a couple of hundred varroa drop. The other had significantly less... but the earwigs seem to be getting to the counting boards before I do. Glad I treated!

I did, wrongly, remove the paper. My strips looked like white fibre and were clearly wrapped in paper, the paper had seams at top and bottom and one strip had an extra piece of paper that lay between the strips. It sounds nothing like what you bought. Mine came from a reputable bee supplier P a?nes, where did you get yours? It sounds really wrong to me! They should have a really acidic smell, really fumy! Grabs the back of your throat, but you need to get close to smell it and I don't advise it. I have concerns over what you have bought.
E

They should not have been "gloopy". Mine slipped out of the packet and easily parted into the 2 strips. The paper covering them being quite dry.

Well, they seem to have worked - lots of varroa drop. There was definitely a formic acid aroma (I had one or two seconds when I couldn't breath). They were all sealed and had lot numbers. I think I may source them differently next time, to see if they are any different.

Well, I removed the MAQs from both hives. They had done a good job in removing varroa - far more than the daily drops would have suggested prior to treatment. BUT I saw no uncapped brood in either hive. There were small patches of capped brood in one hive. I also saw eggs in that hive - they were not as nicely positioned as normal, but there was only one per cell. No supersedure cells... so looks like the queens went off the lay. Will check again in a few days. Both hives were absolutely full of bees.

I am a beginner, so any suggestions appreciated.

(Also got my first sting.)

Sounds like they are doing all right just keep an eye on their stores levels and if needed feed.

Just did an inspection. One hive has just started to lay (well, about 4 days ago). One bee was just hatching, which must have been from before the fumigation. There are at least four types of pollen going in. Happy there!

The OTHER hive - I have never had so many attempting to sting me within seconds of opening the hive. I pressed on and spotted no brood of any description - although I did wimp out rather than being thorough. I checked where brood were likely, rather than every frame. There is no pollen going into this hive, either. I think that HM has passed away.

Looks like time for an emergency queening.

Both hives are FULL of bees - very strong.

My MAQS WERE defective last year.

- they had been mashed in transit. This year, they were both in their nice paper sleeves - much easier to apply, far fewer fumes... and hopefully, fewer casualties than last year.

:)

Both my queens survived but had a few days not laying, about 3 or 4 I think. My MAQS were both wrapped in paper sleeves inside a plastic wrapper, which was sealed. Even opening the plastic box...was breathtaking! I didn't count the drop....I felt confident it would do the job. I will check the drop just before winter sets in as a guide to winter OA....if necessary. Today...the girls are making up for the few days of poor weather....bunching up to get in the hives with their loads of HB and orange pollen.

I found the remains of a perished swarm today and was clear which colony it left from due to reduced bee numbers. Treated with MAQS last week. Does anybody think it could trigger swarming - very late to lose a swarm and on double brood with laying space. Just seems a bit of a coincidence.

I found the remains of a perished swarm today and was clear which colony it left from due to reduced bee numbers. Treated with MAQS last week. Does anybody think it could trigger swarming - very late to lose a swarm and on double brood with laying space. Just seems a bit of a coincidence.

Not in my experience
E

Both my queens survived but had a few days not laying, about 3 or 4 I think.
That's been my experience this year and last, off lay for 3-4 days but otherwise no ill effect.

Latest posts

Back