ApiOxalic?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder whether it's VMD licenced/approved, or just an expensive way of buying generic 'under the counter' OA
I checked, it doesn’t appear in the VMD list of approved medicaments!

Won't be VMD approved as apibioxal is still protected for another year or two. No generics are possible until after that runs out.

so just there to gull the gullible then
Not necessarily. It's cunningly advertised to avoid making varroa claims so is likely to fly under the VMD's radar although the intended use is obvious. It's not a snake oil as we know it does work for varroa but it is very overpriced for OA.

ApiOxalic?

I did hear a lot of ecstatic moooing but I thought that was just the farmer putting the hay out!

Not necessarily. It's cunningly advertised to avoid making varroa claims so is likely to fly under the VMD's radar although the intended use is obvious. It's not a snake oil as we know it does work for varroa but it is very overpriced for OA.
I think the VMD would be interested as although it doesn’t mention varroa it does say it’s for treating bees so as I see it any substance for “treating bees” should be VMD approved.
As you say it’s just expensive OA and typical of the way this company have always operated.

Does this change the rules of the game to our benefit? How do you expect the market to adapt after the licence expires?
It means others can choose to pay for licencing. It will still cost a lot to do but less and there will also be less paperwork as you can use the studies used by the original company to licence it, subject to some caveats.

However, I'm not sure whether anyone will do it and significantly reduce the price- unless it's a benevolent beekeeper, why would they as they'll want to maximise return on their generic licence.

I think the VMD would be interested as although it doesn’t mention varroa it does say it’s for treating bees so as I see it any substance for “treating bees” should be VMD approved.

Maybe they mean "treating" them like giving them a glass of wine and running a long hot bath?

(Actually, it looks as though they'be been quite careful to avoid the use of the word "treat", though they do say "to improve bee health".)

James

Maybe they mean "treating" them like giving them a glass of wine and running a long hot bath?

(Actually, it looks as though they'be been quite careful to avoid the use of the word "treat", though they do say "to improve bee health".)

James
I think you are right but I still think they would find it hard to defend their stance if someone took them to task but the chances are that no one will.
I just think the company’s attitude stinks as in the past they have gone to great lengths circumvent the “proper” way by importing nucs via NI but that’s just my bias opinion I suppose. :(

Does this change the rules of the game to our benefit?
not really, we can already buy generic OA elsewhere at the fraction of the cost, as far as I can see this is just a ruse to catch people out who think they are 'safe' from the clutches of the VMD when in reality they're just paying a premium price for a non approved product

others can choose to pay for licencing. It will still cost a lot to do but less and there will also be less paperwork
Opportunity for the BBKA to compensate for their support for the introduction of the daft VMD regs., and licence a plain OA at a not-for-profit retail cost to beekeepers keen to obey the rules.

The small print does state Despite proper application, severely damaged colonies may not survive due to the effects of varroa infestation, which is phrased in a deliberately slippery way that still hints at a link between ApiOxalic and varroa.

Last edited:
This wouldn't be the same company that a few years ago ran a very public campaign against other suppliers accusing them of not have having the correct licenses to sell veterinary medicines, would it?

I think its clear in the instructions for use what the OA is intended for, even if the website avoids any mention of use to treat varroa

Is the prefix API Oxalic not a bit of a clue? Ir seems expensive for taking the stains out of wood furniture......... especially as elswhere they sell oxalic acid at £6.14 for 500g - maybe the goggles are dear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back