Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Could you spread Apiguard paste directly on to the top of the frames if you don't have an eke handy?

Just use an empty super or just knock a simple eke up 4 pieces of 2x1 batten with a nail in each corner or even gaffer taped up, I think spreading out the paste might increase the amount of fumes for a shorter time, not good.

Could you spread Apiguard paste directly on to the top of the frames if you don't have an eke handy?

Yes - you can do whatever you fancy but it is defitely not to be recommended. In short just do as it says on the tin!!! A shallow eke is as simple as it gets.

dont like doing it, but when no eke available I have just put the roof on the top of the brood and apiguard tub without a crown board...the stops in the roof act as an eke

not recommended though it does work

though they can stick the roof down

Last edited:
I've been told by a bee inspector that you can spread Apiguard on a foil tray and leave it under a framed QE - not tried it myself

If you buy Apiguard in the bulk tubs you get waxed card squares to put your 50g on. I have a couple of hives without ekes on and simply scraped the contents of the foil tray onto the foil lid and laid that flat on the top bars; the bees have cleared most of the Apiguard so it has certainly worked.

sent from my mobile.

Back