Apiguard placement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumble Bee Slim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there, where would you place tray in a double brood or brood and a half set up...there seems to be conflicting advice .
Cheers
Dave

On the top bars of the uppermost box.
Thanks Steve, that is what I would of thought,one more question if ai may, this is my first year of using thymol based products.How critical is the minimum 20' C temp stated as surely the internal temp of a hive is fairly constant and well above this ?
Dave

How critical is the minimum 20' C temp stated as surely the internal temp of a hive is fairly constant and well above this ?
Dave
It's the outside temperatures that are important - not for the thymol to 'work' but for the bees to be fully active so that they spread the thymol around, especially when they pass it from one another then take it outside.
Thymol doesn't work properly when all the bees are just sulking in the hive or loosely clustered. Or even definitely doesn't work if they are tightly clustered.

It's the outside temperatures that are important - not for the thymol to 'work' but for the bees to be fully active so that they spread the thymol around, especially when they pass it from one another then take it outside.
Thymol doesn't work properly when all the bees are just sulking in the hive or loosely clustered. Or even definitely doesn't work if they are tightly clustered.
Thanks for that, I now understand.

Thanks Steve, that is what I would of thought,one more question if ai may, this is my first year of using thymol based products.How critical is the minimum 20' C temp stated as surely the internal temp of a hive is fairly constant and well above this ?
Dave
Where did you get the 15c from ? the temp to worry about is 15c, it is still effective if that is the day temps only, you will notice it left in the tray when the temp is too low, but don’t be put off still apply the second tray and don’t take off the first .

Where did you get the 15c from ? the temp to worry about is 15c, it is still effective if that is the day temps only, you will notice it left in the tray when the temp is too low, but don’t be put off still apply the second tray and don’t take off the first .
Sorry my mistake ,thanks for advice.

Latest posts

Back