Apiguard overdose?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just heard back from Vita regarding the interaction of syrup with thymol in it and Apiguard.

They cannot make recommendations either way... but said that they didn't think there would be a problem with a normal sized colony, Apiguard per instructions and thymol in syrup in preserving quantities.

They did suggest that if both were used at the same time, the bees might either ignore the Apiguard (i.e. not remove it from the hive) or ignore the syrup.

Another newbie here! Got my colony at the beginning of June and noticed varroa at the end of July. Arranged a visit from the very helpful Bee Inspector who noted lots of bees but not many stores. I'm halfway through the Apiguard treatment (next tray to go in this Thursday). I was wondering whether I should start feeding them syrup at the same time, to let them start building up stores, or whether I should wait until the treatment has finished. The bees have been very prolific (full BB and more in super used as an eke) and I was worried that I might be starving them if I hold off feeding.

I am feeding as I treat with Apiguard - I's a newbie too.

Makes no apparent difference..

Don't feed and they starve.
As thymol is so objectionable to them, it appears that not to feed hungry bees risks killing off a few..

Some people add thymol to feed so I cannot see why feeding is questionable..

From the Apiguard FAQ:

5. Q: Can I feed my colonies while using Apiguard?
A: Yes and No. The recommendation is not to apply Apiguard while feeding simultaneously in case the bees spend all their time taking the feed and not bothering to clean out the Apiguard gel. This is not a high risk and will vary between different colonies, so if you have to feed and treat at the same time, try it in a few colonies first and see how the bees react.

Latest posts

Back