Apidea box over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rje66

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Will an apidea box that is doing well now over winter successfully?. I don't need to re queen, but would be nice to have a mated one for spring should the need arise.
OR
Make up a nuc from my hives that are doing OK but not bursting at the seams either??

you need to insulate according to the mass of bees in the apidea. You definitely need to keep the mass conductance ratio above 0.5 perferably 1 or higher.

Make up a nuc ... much better chance of successfully overwintering. Certainly can be done in an Apidea or Kieler, but the attrition rate is a lot higher.

I brought three of mine though they are slightly larger I think than the ones produced now. However I did not use extra insulation but I DID make a 1" eke and filled it with fondant. They came through well.

PH

Thanks for replies, will see how they get on then over winter.

Sometimes they are wintered in a dry airy shed. It is possible to get a super type box for an Apidea which also helps. From my own experience the ones fed a pollen supplement early in the spring seem more likely to survive.

I have overwintered Kielers, but as a "double brood", with a third box full of insulation...

Can you get super for apidea, for stores over winter. I can move it into a sheltered covered spot over winter.

Can you get super for apidea, for stores over winter. I can move it into a sheltered covered spot over winter.

Have a word with Ben Harden. He is an agent for Apideas and is probably the retailer with the lowest prices in Europe.

Great. Thanks for the links.

I have 2 queen right apideas on 5 frames, but 2 others similar size are now queenless as someone needed 2 queens and I donated to save their large hives.

I would like to join queenless apidea on top of Qright. Make 2 decent sized colonies to winter through as lovely temperament and brood pattern.
Ideas please? as there is a gap?

I have 2 queen right apideas on 5 frames, but 2 others similar size are now queenless as someone needed 2 queens and I donated to save their large hives.

I would like to join queenless apidea on top of Qright. Make 2 decent sized colonies to winter through as lovely temperament and brood pattern.
Ideas please? as there is a gap?

Personally I'd invest in an extra brood box. I THINK they are available. Alternatively, they might not be drawing too much comb over winter so a cumbersome taping together keeping the top box's feeder in and a wrap of Kingspan or whatever probably wouldn't be a disaster: once they'd started buildup you could shook swarm them into a nuc if they are strong and brace-comby or get them apart somehow. If they're weak then you have other issues; back down to the bottom box or whatever.

ADD Yes it's the "super" here. Not cheap for a bit of poly but a Q In March is worth a lot more. http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/nuc-mating-hives/super-for-apidea/

Last edited:
Decision made.. and Paynes dropping me off 2 supers. Cheers

Not wishing to add to your expenses, but there is an overall feeder also available. It comes into its own when the boxes underneath have full compliments of frames. Here it is common to remove the internal feeder and replace with two frames and the above feeder on top...... more brood space.
Early spring is the critical time, do your best to feed them pollen or at least pollen substitute then, we find that to be essential.

[/QUOTE]but 2 others similar size were queenless[/QUOTE]

Had this last year, wasps cleaned them out very quickly. So don't waste time

Latest posts

Back