Apiary Barrier Fencing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I'm looking at investing in some 3-4ft barrier fencing to protect some isolated out apiaries from prevailing winds.

Can anyone on here recommend any suppliers/types? Any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

I have recycled some old post and rail fencing around the home apiary, which is quite a windy site, and planted beech hedging all around it. To provide short-term wind shelter, I have stapled* on 1m width of windbreak netting all round. I would recommend LBS Horticulture as a supplier as we have dealt with them over a number of years (principally for supply of staking/tying consumables for the orchards; this winter we moved about 220 young fruit trees out of the nursery beds and into the orchard proper).

* I mean proper stainless staples with a staple gun, not a pikey bodge using a Rexel Bambi ;) Actually, the staples can tear through the fabric over a season, so I have re-located it with more small staples and then stretched and stapled (i.e. 1" U-nail) stock netting over the top to support the windbreak fabric. The apiary is now a pleasure to be in.

Fencing firms have to dispose of the old panels they remove and usually burn them. I'm sure any local fencers would happily offload a few semi-decent panels your way instead of burning. Even if the bottom few boards are rotten its easy to reduce them to a usefull 6' x 5'

if you just want to use as a windbreak the green garden shading is very durable, cheap and effective. just staple to some thinnish round stakes, these cost around £2 ea.

The fruit cage my hive is in has wind break barrier/fencing attached to the cage to prevent strong wind damage the trees/plants in fruit cage.

It seems to work well for bees as well, you still get the odd winds come through but keeps a fair amount out.

I would recommend Papranet (I think that's how it's spelt) and LBS, we've used them over the years, including a 32ft x 18ft polytunnel.
If you were closer we have a good few metres of netting spare you could have.
Tim

Last edited:
Thank you for the pointers folks....

Scaffold netting is good, and it's cheap. We used it around the association hives to great effect. 20m x 3m roll cost £45 various colours available.

Latest posts

Back