Api Api Api

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Another beginner question - all I have researched suggests it is almost time for varroa treatments before winter.
But so far I have seen discussions on Apiguard, Api-life, Apivar oh and MAQS. Are these all the same thing, just different formulations? Is there a consensus on which is best to use?

Another beginner question - all I have researched suggests it is almost time for varroa treatments before winter.
But so far I have seen discussions on Apiguard, Api-life, Apivar oh and MAQS. Are these all the same thing, just different formulations? Is there a consensus on which is best to use?
The active ingredient of Apiguard and Api lif var is thymol but have different methods of administration, while in MAQS it is formic acid released from strips. Apivar and Apitraz is in the form of strips inserted for 6 weerks and both release Amitraz (an acaricide). There are advantages and disadvantages of all forms of Varroa treatment. You need to do some reading

The active ingredient of Apiguard and Api lif var is thymol but have different methods of administration, while in MAQS it is formic acid released from strips. Apivar and Apitraz is in the form of strips inserted for 6 weerks and both release Amitraz (an acaricide). There are advantages and disadvantages of all forms of Varroa treatment. You need to do some reading
I agree, some of the above are temp related also, so I would read up a bit on each one, and then decide which one would be best for your locality.

If it was later in the autumn I would probably use apivar as the temperature wouldn't be consistent enough for the thymol varroa treatments.

Latest posts

Back