Anyone spotted any drones yet?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
A few people on the facebook group are seeing drones already. What do you think? Is this unusual? I don't have masses of experience but I'd have said this is a bit early.

Can you hint at a link to this famous group? Sounds fascinating. Anywhere on these Isles, I would hope NOT to see drones just yet, thank you very much. They can arise for more reasons than the colony getting jiggy, obviously.

It's the *ahem* BBKA facebook group. I have seen the third person, at least, post about finding drones in the last two days. All UK based.

I have transparent coverboards and can see the odd drone in there. Not noticed them outside of the hives.

No drones, no brood, no pollen coming in..

We had frost (again) last night and a lovely sunny day. But the only flowers open are snowdrops...No doubt snow over the weekend.

A few around when treating with oxalic, have seen them the last few years since starting trickling.

Not necessarily. Nor of a DLQ...

Oh dear

But to me it is an alarm bell. I must check, is there a laying Queen inside.

When I change floors after Winter, i look what kind of pupae there are on floor. Drones are not nice to see, but worker pupa is.

Last edited:
I have difficulty finding myself as well with this cold :eek:weather

I don't think George has any trouble finding himself, by the looks of it he found himself at the point of leaving this mortal coil. I assume that is his "appendage" that is sticking out of his abdomen, or maybe his other hind tibia. I can't quite tell. Despite what the gossip mongerers say, I am not too familiar with the male bee's private bits.............yet.

I don't think George has any trouble finding himself, by the looks of it he found himself at the point of leaving this mortal coil. I assume that is his "appendage" that is sticking out of his abdomen, or maybe his other hind tibia. I can't quite tell. Despite what the gossip mongerers say, I am not too familiar with the male bee's private bits.............yet.

There's a really interesting video.

About 4:31 in unless you want to watch the whole thing. And there's a part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DscRpUC1S6I

I had drones last year in February the landing board dead and also flying, sure enough they were drone layers or queenless , I would be worried if I saw this.

Back