Anyone enter cookery classes at honey shows?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afraid I can't alter the recipe or use my own - it has to be the competition standard...otherwise yes, I usually weigh the eggs and then match the rest of the ingredients...

I could buy duck eggs locally, so I'll have a look - anything is worth a try...thanks all...

Last edited:
Oh well - too late to change anything now - all made and ready for tomorrow, apart from the child's lunch box. Don't normally cook with honey, and despite the warnings was amazed how brown cakes got...

Don't expect to win anything - just don't want to look a total prat...wish me luck!!

let us know how you do and we demand pictures ! ;)

GL

OK -no photos I'm afraid...by the time I found the camera the judges had cut bits out! I got:

1st - Honey walnut tart
3rd - Honey Vic. sandwich
3rd - Child's packed lunch

Well chuffed as I didn't expect to win anything!! Thanks for all the support x

Last edited:
Evidence and recipe

Here are my certificates and the recipe that got 1st place.

Honey walnut tart

150g 6 oz wholemeal flour
Pinch salt
75g 3 oz butter
Rind and juice of 1 orange
4 tbsp Clear honey
75g 3oz Fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
3 eggs
100g 4oz walnuts, roughly chopped
3tbsp. dark brown sugar

1. Rub butter into flour and salt.
2. Add rind and enough juice to bind to a pastry.
3. Roll out and line 20cm 8" flan tin.
4. Bake blind at 200 C 300F Mark 6 for 10-15 mins until set.
5. Mix honey, breadcrumbs and sugar together.
6. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and remaining juice.
7. Scatter walnuts into case and top with the mixture.
8. Bake at 200C 400F Mark 6 for 20-25 minutes.

ENJOY!

big

Congrats Queens59

Its a nice feeling walking away with a 1st place on your first show, only trouble is you need to defend your win next year to prove it wasn't a fluke. I have 3 months to prepare before our show in November which last year was the first time I decided to enter.

Bee keeping photo (1st)
10-12oz wax cake (1st)
6x 2oz wax cakes (2nd place)

but I intend to enter some honey this year but I don't think I have a chance to win against the two guys who always walk away with 95% of 1st & 2nd places for each class.

Well done Queens.
There`s a lot of effort goes into this showing lark.
My OH got a trophy for her sheep at the North Devon show on Wednesday so she`s pretty chuffed.

Yep - I was amazed at the animals at Honiton - they were beautiful! First time I'd been involved in an agricultural show, and it certainly added an element to the day.

I did say 'NEVER AGAIN'...but just...maybe...possibly...we'll see...then there is the art class...photograph...wax classes ...might have my first honey next year...

Latest posts

Back