Anyone else have these stoopid little flies everywhere

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
don't know what it's all about but probably down to all the wet weather we've had but we have these little fruit fly tiny gnat like flies everywhere. In Newport where I work 17 miles away from my home which also has them in the garden, by the bees in my workshop, also the have set up on my houseplants too they are everywhere. Any other uk area getting these little S~#?s :confused:

don't know what it's all about but probably down to all the wet weather we've had but we have these little fruit fly tiny gnat like flies everywhere. In Newport where I work 17 miles away from my home which also has them in the garden, by the bees in my workshop, also the have set up on my houseplants too they are everywhere. Any other uk area getting these little S~#?s :confused:

Probably midges come down from Scotland ... real PIA up there in the summer in some places - but a bit early at present. We used to call them Noseeums ... the first you knew about it was when they land and bite you ...

I have a lot of these through the warmer seasons. I blame the farm I live near, where they use hundreds of old tyres to weigh down the plastic covers on their silage. The flies lay their eggs in the water that lies in the tyres.
....Or so I've been told.

We have not been bothered with them yet, my hive is bordering swamp land and when the weather warms up they are everywhere, they are not the blood suckers but they make you scratch like a flee bitten dog when you go near the swamp, the little Wrens like eating them though when they land on the fence posts.

We always have them in warmer weather. They feed the birds- and the bats..

Oh, seems mine are different. Like 3 or 4mm long, light brown, almost transparent, get on your face and head and itch continuously. Smaller than midges but similar in annoyance.

Oh, seems mine are different. Like 3 or 4mm long, light brown, almost transparent, get on your face and head and itch continuously. Smaller than midges but similar in annoyance.
Thats the kiddies, i have been looking for google pictures but nothing is good to show, i will take some pictures myself when the scratting commences.

I went camping and kayaking out in the wilderness near Fort William last summer. As soon as the sun starts to go down, dark thick clouds of them all come out of absolutely nowhere and eat you alive. I've never had a problem with biting insects before so it was totally new to me. It reminded me of a particular episode of the x-files. Absolutely bizarre.

Memories of standing in the woods in Glyncornel, home of Pentref Bowmen, waiting for the whistle. You could feel them crawling through your eyebrows.

Back