Any use for old tumble dryer?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, from past experience, that as soon as I dispose of something a couple of weeks later the opportunity comes along where it could have been used but ... I also get grief from 'er indoors about the amount of stuff I keep and I have to, occasionally, succumb to the pain of consigning it to the tip. If I do repurpose something then it has to be almost indistinguishable from what it was originally or be a really clever adaptation.

My son is very clever with metal, we have a pretty comprehensive engineering workshop and he also has a 3D printer ...He's just repurposed a metal letter box (the sort you mount on the wall to have your mail delivered into) into a multifunctional electrical enclosure box ... in which he has mounted transformers, plug converters and a whole host of other things he uses in his electrical engineering. A 'proper' enclosure box from an electrical supply house the same size costs £69 ... the mail box, he bought as an Amazon clearance item, £1.00 .. with free delivery on Prime. You would never know the finished article was based on a re-purposed mailbox.

From the tumble drier the digital panel, wiring, PCB's and switches he is going to put into his store of things he will use. I've got the formica panel off the top which I'm going to use either as a base for my new improved uncapping station or as a base for my new foundation press. The motor is going on ebay so I'm not too unhappy that a lot of it will get re-used and the metal parts, after being scrapped, will be making something else in due course. Meets all my desires to make up for the destruction I inflicted on the planet at a time when we did not appreciate fully what we were doing...

Borderline hoarder syndrome - classic case. I too am a long time sufferer.

If you are happy selling stuff on ebay you will be surprised what easy access parts sell well. Bits like the cutlery tray from dish washers, the draws from fridges etc.

If you go onto one of those parts web sites and enter the model number of your machine it will show you the parts and prices. You can also get the part numbers to put in your ebay listings, put it in the title so it helps people find it. Depending on the machine it can often at least be worth picking out some of the higher value parts to sell.

A random aside - Often manufactures will make a serious of similar machines varying from cheap to expensive with varying stats. In some cases the only part that is diffrent is the control board. So by swapping that single part you can upgrade a machines functionality.

If you are happy selling stuff on ebay you will be surprised what easy access parts sell well. Bits like the cutlery tray from dish washers, the draws from fridges etc.

If you go onto one of those parts web sites and enter the model number of your machine it will show you the parts and prices. You can also get the part numbers to put in your ebay listings, put it in the title so it helps people find it. Depending on the machine it can often at least be worth picking out some of the higher value parts to sell.

A random aside - Often manufactures will make a serious of similar machines varying from cheap to expensive with varying stats. In some cases the only part that is diffrent is the control board. So by swapping that single part you can upgrade a machines functionality.
Interesting. Thanks for that Bobba.

I did that with a Bosch washing machine a couple of years ago. The drum shaft had failed but everything else was OK. I dismantled it and sold the parts on eBay. Most went to Russia.

I did that with a Bosch washing machine a couple of years ago. The drum shaft had failed but everything else was OK. I dismantled it and sold the parts on eBay. Most went to Russia.

Our ELFRAMO Italian industrial jar / bottle washer went tits up... failed control module and doseing pump.
Managed to source new components from a firm in Poland for under £250

Seems that their post soviet mentality is to conserve "mendable" products... a new similar machine would have cost getting on for £3K !!!!

Wonderful bit of kit... washes, steralizes and rinces in 180 seconds.... after finding a family of silverfish living in one pallet load of Pattersons best 8oz hex.. we wash everything!!!

Chons da

I am pleased to say I am not deceased. My contribution to the pandemic was to run a Zoom beginners course last Autumn which was attended by some 30+ each Sunday. They were grateful and I enjoyed putting it together and presenting. I started a FB group for 4 people two years ago and it has grown somewhat to now over 1200 members. One of the members earns her living by teaching Gaelic by Zoom and so has a pro account which she very kindly offered for the course. More, there is no bitching or nastiness.

My trusty spin drier is still in use though I'll have to get it powder coated again.

I mentioned years ago using a single tub washing machine to make syrup. It didn't even need warmth as if the sugar was added judiciously it became syrup mainly due to the impeller. said item needed replacing every two years or so but it turned tons of sugar into syrup effectively.

PH

Latest posts

Back