Any solicitors out there?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A little advice needed, please.

Friend sold heavy items on ebay £80- buyer collect.
He collected -5 witnesses- he then denied collecting and Paypal have reimbursed him the £80. They say they always protect purchaser and she has no comeback...
Hint as to him- he says she is a lying white bitch..
Is this put down to experience or can she challenge Paypal re money stolen from her account without her permission??

Surely you wuld have some comeback if you used a credit card to pay via PayPal?

But it is true. PayPal sides with the Buyer always. Perhaps you should take them to small claims court.

She should have got receipt on collection- but hindsight....
I would go and nail his head to a wall-
Will tell her about credit card input- may help.

did she check his ID? chances are, he's got witnesses to say he was somewhere else at the time that the item was collected. i hope that she gets her money back but paypal is a difficult beast to tame...

Paypal are within their rights.
Collection always = cash...

And a signed invoice.. and dated.

Well known scam...

Paypal are within their rights.
Collection always = cash...

And a signed invoice.. and dated.

Well known scam...

Sadly, it is a well known scam to pay by PayPal and then collect before cancelling the payment.

Even getting a signed receipt isn't enough for PayPal's guarantee.
Paypal do state in their online terms that they require a delivery agent's online-accessible proof that the goods were delivered to the registered PayPal address. Nothing less.

If its collected, its either a cheque cleared beforehand or cash.
NEVER EVER PayPal for collections.

However, if you have witnesses who can identify the individual, and you can trace him, AND you have some independent corroboration (like local CCTV perhaps?) you might be able to take him to the small claims court, or alternatively try and interest Plod in what is clearly an offence under the Theft Act - to which end any contacts that might influence Plod to take you seriously might come in handy.

Adn FleaBuy warn about Western Union !!!!

Collection = cash payment

Got to be worth taking further.. Good Luck !

I had an accident in the car a few years back. The driver that rear ended me had been busy looking/speaking to one of his front seat passengers until he realised that I was stationary in the road in front of him with about 12 foot to go. He swerved and it resulted in a low speed shunt as his left side front bumper caught my rear bumper smack in the middle, with little visible damage.
My bumper was suddenly a popular photo target and the quality of any witnesses wasn't worth happening. The other driver refused point blank to give his details and I contacted Plod and my Insurance company. The other driver was maintaining no-damage.
My insurance company came back to me and said that the owner had denied that his car had been involved in any accident whatsoever. Cost me £75 in unrecoverable excess. The shame is that I didn't have a camera with me. I realised that I didn't have a reliable witness to whose fault it was etc, but never anticipated that I would need a witness to say that there definitely had been an accident. I'm a little wiser now - I think.

Good luck. There are a lot of chancers out there..

Paypal are not above the law. If you have proof of collection and proof of address of buyer then I would have a £25 punt in the small claims court.

You have to tell Paypal it is fraud, and talk to them on the phone. forget emailing them. They will direct you how to get a crime number from your local plod. Mine was Surrey and they didn't even blink when I asked for one - so it's obviously quite common.

I'd tell the buyer what you are up to. That you are asking the police to get involved - and see if they change their tune (probably won't).

I can't emphasise the ringing them up bit enough - you need to talk to Paypal not email them. Paypal will then normally refund your friend as well.

Adam

always go cash on collection - saves you the paypal fees.

for all others make sure you get proof of postage (better still always send recorded).

for all others make sure you get proof of postage (better still always send recorded).

agreed; but also, don't combine postage on multiple purchases (been there) becuse even if the buyer signs for the package he can still claim that it didn't contain more than the one item and then, yes, pp will take the buyers side against you.

Its theft taking goods without paying for them. Call the police tell them you want to prosecute.

Latest posts

Back