Any scouts at your swarm trap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm finding my traps in the shade are doing better than the couple I've got in the sun. I've assumed it's that they get too hot.

I'm finding my traps in the shade are doing better than the couple I've got in the sun. I've assumed it's that they get too hot.

Same here; out of three bait hives the score so far is:
Shade...2, of those: placed high....1 placed low...1
Sun (placed high)........0

I think dappled sunlight is ideal. I think my thin plywood traps get too hot if they’re in direct sunlight in the afternoon. I did wonder about putting a reflective sheet over the roof to help keep them cool
To hot…. I’ve removed colonies from oil drums in the Caribbean😎

Lots of activity around one of my bait hives today. So much that I was beginning to wonder if a small swarm might have moved in when I wasn't around, but to my mind the nature of the activity is more "checking it out" than "bringing in forage". Lots of hovering from side to side in front of the hive (a bit like robbing, I guess?) and landing on the front before walking down to the entrance rather than coming in straight to the door.

Lifting the roof off and having peek inside after sunset is the obvious option, but I don't need to be disturbing them if it is a recently-arrived swarm. I guess I can wait to see what happens. If it is a swarm then it's too late to be moving them anywhere nearby anyhow -- I'm pretty certain they won't have arrived today without me noticing.

James

Last spring/early summer I was fascinated as people started to post on here about scouts appearing at their bait hives and eventually swarms arriving.

I guess ‘swarm season’ starts at different times depending where you are in the country…

It would be really interesting to hear when people start to get activity at their swarm traps and see pictures/vids of what’s going on!

Nothing to report here in north Cumbria as yet…
Scouts started to inspect my swarm traps the 3rd week in April. They were put out on top of my conifer hedge beginning of April. Three swarms so far in bait hives, two in May and one yesterday which was a massive prime swarm that arrived 1.30pm just as we returned home.
I have two more traps out locally with both seeing lots of activity over the last week with this fine warm weather.

Now the Sun has set I finished tidying up outdoors and wandered over to the bait hive in question. It was very quiet with no sign of any bees near the entrance. When I gently tapped on the side of the hive however I was immediately rewarded with a brief buzz. I have to assume therefore that a swarm is in residence.

James

Now the Sun has set I finished tidying up outdoors and wandered over to the bait hive in question. It was very quiet with no sign of any bees near the entrance. When I gently tapped on the side of the hive however I was immediately rewarded with a brief buzz. I have to assume therefore that a swarm is in residence.

James
Probably, but I have had instances where scouts have "camped out" in a bait hive prior to a swarm arriving.

Probably, but I have had instances where scouts have "camped out" in a bait hive prior to a swarm arriving.

Perhaps I'll try to have a very quick peek later then, just so I have a better idea of what the situation is. Not that it really makes a lot of odds at the moment: if they're scouts then I want to leave the hive as it is, but if it's a swarm it's not ideal to move it unless I'm going a fair distance and with one of our cars out of action for the next couple of weeks going anywhere else isn't particularly convenient.

James

Definite sniffing around one of my bait hives today, and some hunting about in places that the bees don't usually bother with. Hardly surprising perhaps given that the weather has been quite miserable for a while. I don't think it will be one of mine thinking about swarming, unless it's the one that's built wild comb inside a double brood that I'm still trying to sort out.

James

Another swarm arrived at the shed roof swarm trap today. Didn’t look huge but it’s very welcome.

The first swarm from mid May is now working on their first super and the smaller swarm from a couple of weeks ago has 2 frames of capped brood now so will hopefully start expanding soon.

Latest posts

Back