Any one else having issues with wax moth??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman1872

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just finished moving my girls into their larger 14x12 quarters and in the few weeks when both brood box and 14x12 brood box were on I noticed some whitish looking brood cappings so dutifully had a little poke and to my horror saw this nasty little larvae trying to make a run for it. On closer inspection I noticed several of these whitish trails and found more larvae.
I intially thought it was down to there being more space and therefore the bees just 'missing' the larvae but today found a few of these trails in my other hive. I can also see where they have tunnelled through, damaged cappings and left brood exposed. I thought wax moth wasn't suppossed to be much of an issue?

According to the speaker at the March meeting of the Peterborough BKA, wax moth can be devastating to a colony.

Never found it myself. Strong colonies will usually keep them at bay, is my feeling, but any weakness, and bees not covering the frames too well, will allow the little blighters to have a feast.

I have, of course had appalling wax moth damage to frames left unattended, in my early days, but you learn sharpish or keep losing your stock! No problems these days with either frame comb damage, or more than the odd waxmoth larva in my broods.

I would think a multi-shared apiary might be a bit of a problem if there is just one person who allows the waxmoth to multiply out of control.

Regards, RAB

The larvae will still pupate successfully if wax moth removes the capping. You have nothing to worry about. A strong colony will quickly get on top of a wax moth problem.

Latest posts

Back