Any mugs out there

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenkins

no problems, this is last buyers review:

"stunning mint green coast dress sz 8 " xxxx

richard

£200 and you have to supply your own paint and cow manure - daylight robbery! Derekm will be along in a minute to tell us how to insulate it.

CVB

I've got to admit that I've got a sneaky regard for anyone who can actually make something as nicely made (at least the straw work is - not sure about the piece of plywood) as that is. They are a nice shape as well and I could well see one hanging on the porch of my straw bale house (if I ever get to build it) but, whilst the effort and materials that have gone into making it are well worth £200 .... my beekeeping is strictly on a budget !

I personally think they are ugly looking things. And so many different shaped/sized pieces to make it. Then such a fiddle to take apart if you need to check inside.

£200 and pick up from Bognor thats the bit that made me laugh , it reminds me off my mums 70' ali baba bin she put the dirty washing in that she wont part with and also the cat used to uses as a scratching post :beatdeadhorse5:

I'll tell you what though, it looks a good thing to put a captured swarm in before rehiving into a 'proper'hive!

And linked from the above page is a punctuation-free advert for new Paynes poly nucs and bees aswel

That's nothing to do with the person who is auctioning the hive - that's a link that ebay inserts based on what people who are looking at that auction are also watching ... Big brother ebay is watching you ...

I personally think they are ugly looking things. And so many different shaped/sized pieces to make it. Then such a fiddle to take apart if you need to check inside.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and actually there are less parts to dismantle than in a conventional hive ... not really fiddly at all - but, there again, it's not a conventional beekeeping hive so the normal rules really don't apply.

That's nothing to do with the person who is auctioning the hive - that's a link that ebay inserts based on what people who are looking at that auction are also watching ... Big brother ebay is watching you ...
It is, although the annoying big brother bit is when they link to what you searched for last week. I like the way sellers put "collection only'" and list their location as GB. Genius.

Blimey
Leave the guy be
Its a one-off for goodness sake
Without creative ideas where would we be now?

It is, although the annoying big brother bit is when they link to what you searched for last week..

Retargeting ads are a bit silly really as there's no 'I've actually bought this and don't want to see anymore' as an option.

Bit of a nuisance if you've been looking for surprise Christmas presents for people online who might see your computer screen at some point.

I seem to have seen one of these sunhives before, was there not a ditsy German honey making them?

James

Blimey
Leave the guy be
Its a one-off for goodness sake
Without creative ideas where would we be now?

Aye, it's not to my taste either, but live and let live innit.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and actually there are less parts to dismantle than in a conventional hive ... not really fiddly at all - but, there again, it's not a conventional beekeeping hive so the normal rules really don't apply.

Indeed. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a duller place. It's that plank of plywood in the middle that spoils it for me.

I do like the idea of suspending a hive or raising it up where the bees naturally like to be, but sunhives must need shelter from wind or they would swing alarmingly I think, and protection from the rain or the straw would get very heavy as it absorbed the wet.

And I saw this and thought, cripes, that looks complicated....
View attachment 11168

I seem to have seen one of these sunhives before, was there not a ditsy German honey making them?

James

Yes ... Heidi is a member of this forum (Sunhivebee) ... not sure ditsy German honey is quite the description she would like to be remembered for .. she's a knowledgeable beekeeper although she would probably admit that she's at the far end of the low interference beekeeping fraternity and she has some very colourful hives which include a number of sun hives ...

http://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org/sun-hive-biodynamic-initiative-0

She'll probably be along sooner or later - quite capable of fighting her corner herself if she chooses to.

And I agree that lump of plywood does detract from the overall appearance and they do need some element of shelter from the elements but I'll leave the technical aspects for Heidi to comment if she wishes.

It probably went something like this............"what can I make in basket work classes this year, I know I'll make a beehive, what do you think Sonny boy" "That's a good idea" said Sonny, "you could even name it after me"

Anyone care to finish it off ?

Latest posts

Back