Any idea what's going on with this hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsoo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Happened yesterday afternoon, for about 15 mins. then quiet down again.

A friend said the hive is getting robbed, but i am not too sure, firstly because this is the strongest hive out of the 3 (2 hives and 1 nuc). then i looked at the varroa tray its clean as i cleaned it in the morning, and this happened in the afternoon of which i checked a few hours after this incident, the varroa tray is still clean, if its robbing the robbers would have uncapped to nick the honey? also there are no dead bees on the ground (presume if robbing they will fight it out with one another and havbe casualties?...

any idea?

View attachment VID-20200803-WA0026.mp4

Happened yesterday afternoon, for about 15 mins. then quiet down again.

A friend said the hive is getting robbed, but i am not too sure, firstly because this is the strongest hive out of the 3 (2 hives and 1 nuc). then i looked at the varroa tray its clean as i cleaned it in the morning, and this happened in the afternoon of which i checked a few hours after this incident, the varroa tray is still clean, if its robbing the robbers would have uncapped to nick the honey? also there are no dead bees on the ground (presume if robbing they will fight it out with one another and havbe casualties?...

any idea?

View attachment 21388

Oriantating bees or new foragers to be.
It mainly happens in the afternoon and only lasts up to half an hour.

In the colder months hives will do it but its mainly cleansing fliets then again only lasting for half an hour.

I never get bored of watching them do it.
Your hive is looking good and strong nothing to worry about. :)bee-smillie

Looks like they are going to swarm. Check indoors if any QCells. I hope you know what to do. if not let me know.
check inside.

Agree with most.
Orientation flights. If you stepped back to look you would have noticed that the bees fly up and round the hive a few times in increasing circles before returning

I agree with Curly - it looks like a strong colony with a foraging force orientating. It’s a reassuring sight that I like to watch.

It the weather had been cool for a few days the house bees now becoming foragers will hold back until the weather improves. this gives the appearance that there are far more than usual taking orientation flights.

On a personal note, I posted on the older forum as huntsmann666 and had to register afresh as captain666. Glad to be invited back and I'd like to say 'Hello' to those who my recall my former contribution.

I'm an irish beekeeper (South Co. Dublin) and have been keeping bees (Apis mellifera mellifera) for about fourteen years. Keep in mind my comments and experience will be influenced by this honeybee type.

So Hi to all and I look forward to enjoying your posts and helping if I can.

It the weather had been cool for a few days the house bees now becoming foragers will hold back until the weather improves. this gives the appearance that there are far more than usual taking orientation flights

On a personal note, I posted on the older forum as huntsmann666 and had to register afresh as captain666. Glad to be invited back and I'd like to say 'Hello' to those who my recall my former contribution.

I'm an irish beekeeper (South Co. Dublin) and have been keeping bees (Apis mellifera mellifera) for about fourteen years. Keep in mind my comments and experience will be influenced by this honeybee type.

Hello and welcome back
I’m trying a couple of queens From Jonathan Getty next year

Last edited:
It the weather had been cool for a few days the house bees now becoming foragers will hold back until the weather improves. this gives the appearance that there are far more than usual taking orientation flights.

:welcome: back and hi from a fellow black bee enthusiast.

thats great, i last inspected the hive was about a 2 weeks ago (i inspect fortnightly now to avoid distrupting them ). this was a swarm captured in april and they had been very busy building brood (brood and eggs was right up to the edges of the brood frames) i reckon its all the young emerging bees ready to come out and having play flights

thats great, i last inspected the hive was about a 2 weeks ago (i inspect fortnightly now to avoid distrupting them ). this was a swarm captured in april and they had been very busy building brood (brood and eggs was right up to the edges of the brood frames) i reckon its all the young emerging bees ready to come out and having play flights
You can learn alot from just sitting and watching the entrance of a hive it's also very therapeutic.

If it was an incipient swarm, you would see bees flying all over the place - often 3 metres high in seemingly random directions.

The bees in the video are basically facing the hive entrance..Typical orientation.

Latest posts

Back