Any electricians on here?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10kw ?

When we installed our new cooker we calculated (as it didn't say so on the instructions) it would need a cable capable of taking 14kw if we had everything on. A very thick cable !!!

not that big... 10mm is enough for 16KW, although if running through insulated walls you should add a third to prevent a heat build up. 16mm would give plenty of headroom.

it was bigger than that as had to allow for the current too. I think it was 16-20 mm from memory - a bugger to bend and fix in place !!

there are multiple variables to factor in including length and ambient temperature where relevant.
technically (and basically) 10mm is good for 12KW (12.9 if my maths are correct), and 16mm is good for 20KW.

a long run may have needed 25mm...

although it has been a very long time since i was in the building industry (and was not a sparky), 10mm is the typical cooker grade, but would imagine 16mm is built into houses due to the length of cable (??)

interesting set of calculators on the website (saved as a favourite!)

Have you seen anything about AC contactors on your travels around the web?? I 'think' I know what I need but have been struggling to find any good information on them to understand how exactly they work in real terms.

not sure if it is a contactor or relay that I need... :(

Back