Another witch burning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. Don’t you find propolis floating on the top?

I cannot see floting. Bees seal the seam between box and roof. They seel the small cracks in the wooden surface. But they do not cover the polybox wall with propolis like guys insist. That much I am able to see.

Often they try to stuck the 15 mm wide upper entrance and propolis runs down the wall.
I cannot see any miracle in it.

That I can understand that frame wood is rough, and bees try to make the surface smooth. But we do not have such frame woods.

Nothing to do with bees but have just read this excellent novel based on the BURNING of WITCHES in Vardo in what was then FINNMARK following the death of the villages fishermen in the storm of 1627.913q1AmFwLL-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing to do with bees but have just read this excellent novel based on the BURNING of WITCHES in Vardo in what was then FINNMARK following the death of the villages fishermen in the storm of 1627.

Given that heating oil is now over £1.15/litre (two years ago I think we paid 27p/litre) and going up daily, witches might well be getting nervous again :D

James

excellent novel based on the BURNING of WITCHES in Vardo in what was then ...

There is a special period in the history of Sweden: Witch Hunt1660-1680.
Finmark is the coast area of Arctic Ocean, where much people had moved from Finlsnd. Out there they speak Finnish even today.

There is an archipelago Åland between Sweden and Finland. There was made a research about Åland's witch hunt based on written documents.

All witches were women. If a husband want to get ridd of his wife, he told to priest or to judge that his wife is a witch.
Witches were mostly exiled from archipelago.

In those days Swedish people were very violent. A person could go to the neighbour and kill him with axe. No punishment followed from this act.

Last edited:
Given that heating oil is now over £1.15/litre (two years ago I think we paid 27p/litre) and going up daily, witches might well be gettin

James

In Finland price of heating oil jumped from 80 cents to 1.50 euro/ litre. Time period is last Autumn to Ukraine war.

Car diesel fuel jumped 20%. It is now 2.20 €/ litre.

Main reason is those corona trillions, which made world's economy to run wild.

I have found there are two distinct times with my bees where propolis gathering is high, namely early Spring and the Willow blossom and again towards the end of the Summer flow. I look upon it as a positive trait and expect to find quite a few frames glued to the sidewalls on first inspections.. There is nothing quite like a warm, sunny day with the sound of the bees and the scent of the hives.

Attachments

• propolis.jpg
    propolis.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 39
I have found there are two distinct times with my bees where propolis gathering is high, namely early Spring and the Willow blossom and again towards the end of the Summer flow. I look upon it as a positive trait and expect to find quite a few frames glued to the sidewalls on first inspections.. There is nothing quite like a warm, sunny day with the sound of the bees and the scent of the hives.

In that picture the gap (bee space )between frames and roof is too narrow. That is why bees try to fill the gap with propolis.

In that picture the gap (bee space )between frames and roof is too narrow. That is why bees try to fill the gap with propolis.

Yes and also i get that too on Paynes poly hives gap is not enough; I call it the meringue effect.

Bees, like all life forms, have multiple approaches to defence. In combination they succeed where they succeed; and where they don't fewer genes go forward into the next generation. Like european bees in the face of varroa, populations had to locate and utilise defensive behaviours

You invent all those theories just like that. How are you able to do that?
First from reading the literature, second by the application of logic

Stage 1, Premise 1: Any evolved behaviour is present because it has a benefit.
Therefore the the gathering and application of propolis has a benefit.

Stage 2: Premise 2: the removal of a benefit always results in a disbenefit.

Example1: Clothes help you stay warm in cold weather (a benefit); therefore, and all else being equal, removing the clothes makes you feel cold.
Example 2: having pumped up tyres gives a car stability: therefore having a flat tyre results in instablity.

This is a general law. Its always the case that, all else being equal, removing a benefit results in a disbenefit.

That is a formal look at the sort of simple logic most people learn at the university of the flipping obvious. Taking away something beneficial can be expected to result in a harm.

Applying it: Propolis is a good; breeding away from propolis-making is therefore harmful.

Yes. I know varroa. It killed my first hive 40 years ago.
There is no sign or evidence, that propolis can hinder varroa.

What you may mean is that you haven't seen any evidence. Well you won't unless you look for it, and are open minded when you find it.

I would like to see some peer reviewed papers that support your view that breeding against propolis adversely impacts bee health/productivity.
James has just given a link to such a paper. The talk given by Marla Spivak (which is under discussion here), a top-level bee scientist, supply both the information and the evidence.

What more do you want? Surely you need to enquire into the question of why you can't put these things together for yourself.

Btw: none of this is my invention. It is Charles Darwin's. To apply the understanding of evolution in any biological question is barely 'theorising'. Its just applying the science.

Last edited:
In Finland price of heating oil jumped from 80 cents to 1.50 euro/ litre. Time period is last Autumn to Ukraine war.

Car diesel fuel jumped 20%. It is now 2.20 €/ litre.

Main reason is those corona trillions, which made world's economy to run wild.
It didn't help, but was necessary. The main reasons however are the push to slow and stop the rise in atmospheric CO2, and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Last edited:
Where on earth do you get your 'information'?
possibly the same comic as you get most of your from.

To boast a 'scientific approach' you need to shop around and explore more than one source. You seem to have pinned your lot on Spivac and struggle to come up with much else to support your 'theories'
Condescendingly referring to Darwin whenever you're challenged is not much of a defence. Things have evolved a bit since he started to worry about the consequences of sleeping with his own cousin.

To boast a 'scientific approach' you need to shop around and explore more than one source. You seem to have pinned your lot on Spivac and struggle to come up with much else to support your 'theories'
Condescendingly referring to Darwin whenever you're challenged is not much of a defence. Things have evolved a bit since he started to worry about the consequences of sleeping with his own cousin.

Not necessarily. Some things are so well established no shopping trips are necessary.

Darwinism as you say (kind of) has been developed. But the core principle of natural selection for the fittest strains has not altered. Its application is used throughout the life sciences. Countless scientific studies employ it as a fundamental in their reasoning.

And sometimes things are obvious from accumulated experience AND scientific understanding. For example: If you tell me you plan to drop a 10lb hammer on your foot from a height of three metres, I don't need to find a range of scientific papers to tell you its going to hurt.

If you take away a natural defence from an organism, similarly I don't need any scientific shopping trips to tell you it will tend to decrease health levels.

Would you like some more examples?

Logic, once you get the hang of it, is wonderful stuff.

Last edited:
Bees, like all life forms, have multiple approaches to defence. In combination they succeed where they succeed; and where they don't fewer genes go forward into the next generation. Like european bees in the face of varroa, populations had to locate and utilise defensive behaviours

First from reading the literature, second by the application of logic

Stage 1, Premise 1: Any evolved behaviour is present because it has a benefit.
Therefore the the gathering and application of propolis has a benefit.

Stage 2: Premise 1: the removal of a benefit always results in a disbenefit.

Example1: Clothes help you stay warm in cold weather (a benefit); therefore, and all else being equal, removing the clothes makes you feel cold.
Example 2: having pumped up tyres gives a car stability: therefore having a flat tyre results in instablity.

This is a general law. Its always the case that, all else being equal, removing a benefit results in a disbenefit.

That is a formal look at the sort of simple logic most people learn at the university of the flipping obvious. Taking away something beneficial can be expected to result in a harm.

Applying it: Propolis is a good; breeding away from propolis-making is therefore harmful.

Marla Spivak and the authors of James' paper supply scientific evidence.

What you may mean is that you haven't seen any evidence. Well you won't unless you look for it, and are open minded when you find it.

I would still like to see some peer reviewed papers that support your view that breeding against propolis adversely impacts bee health/productivity.

Your assertion that removing a benefit equates to causing harm is not correct. It just means that they do not have the benefit. For example, my children have lots of toys, arguably far more than they need. I can take away some of those without them having a 'disbenefit'.

Also, for your examples:

1. If the clothes get wet, they make you colder than if you weren't wearing them so removal of them in a cold environment potentially becomes beneficial.
2. If traction is poor, deflating tyres means you may be able to drive.

In your examples, you again are not considering the complexity of concurrently responding to multiple different constraints. The coin has two sides and this is not a binary situation.

For most behaviours to be beneficial, they should not be done to excess as that invariably leads to a loss in competitiveness somewhere else. It is just as conceivable that too much propolis could be a negative.

It didn't help, but was necessary. The main reasons however are the push to slow and stop the rise in atmospheric CO2, and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Main reason was billions, which were delivered in Europe and in USA. Fuels jumped up last autumn, when no one knew about Ukraine.

I would still like to see some peer reviewed papers that support your view that breeding against propolis adversely impacts bee health/productivity.

I doubt if there have been any studies made of that. The reason will be because its it plain as the nose on your face that it will happen. Nobody will fund that research because its just damn obvious.

It would be like asking for cash to fund research to conclusively determine if dropping a ten pound hammer on a human foot from a height of three meters causes pain. Despite the fact that a scientific study of the effect of tree meter falls of ten pound hammers has never been made its absolutely scientifically unnecessary.

This sort of idea is also fundamental to all breeding. Breeding toward health involves maintaining those genes that supply health. If you breed against them you must expect health in the offspring to suffer. No halfway competent breeder would do that.

Your assertion that removing a benefit equates to causing harm is not correct. It just means that they do not have the benefit. For example, my children have lots of toys, arguably far more than they need. I can take away some of those without them having a 'disbenefit'.

Very well we need to firm up what we mean by 'benefit'. I think when it comes to health benefits their removal at least opens the door to worse health. Take an extreme example: radiation and chemo therapy, together with the removal of lymph nodes disables the human body's immune system. Without extraordinary care severe illness through infection will result.

The removal of a trivial 'benefit' like a child's toy (in circumstances such as you describe) has a commensurate trivial disbenefit.

Also, for your examples:

If the clothes get wet, they make you colder than if you weren't wearing them so removal of them in a cold environment potentially becomes beneficial.

In that case the wearing of clothes was not a benefit.

You can pick holes like this, but all it means is the statements need tightening up. In that example it was obvious to most I'm sure that I meant clothes that were dry and thus warming.

In your examples, you again are not considering the complexity of concurrently responding to multiple different constraints.

That is why I took care to say 'all else being equal'. In scientific experimental method and terminology this is the critical idea of holding all factors other than the one under study steady. A more technical term is ceteris paribus.

" The experimental method involves the manipulation of variables to establish cause and effect relationships. The key features are controlled methods and the random allocation of participants into controlled and experimental groups. An experiment is an investigation in which ahypothesis is scientifically tested. In an experiment, an independent variable (the cause) is manipulated and the dependent variable (the effect) is measured; any extraneous variables are controlled. "

The coin has two sides and this is not a binary situation. For most behaviours to be beneficial, they should not be done to excess as that invariably leads to a loss in competitiveness somewhere else. It is just as conceivable that too much propolis could be a negative.

I agree. But breeding determinedly against propolis in circumstances once it is known to be highly beneficial is a dumb idea.

If you found the hives were overflowing with propolis you would consider moderating or reversing your approach.

This is where natural selection does the work for you. When/where there is a net benefit to generous amounts of propolis it rises in a population. When the reverse is true, it retreats.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back