Another split question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
1 WBC 2 National
I carried out a split on my single brood box national hive 9 days ago by placing 3 frames of bias ( and nurse bees) in another national hive with two frames of stores and two of foundation. There were no queen cells in the hive at the time of the split. Top feeder with 2:1 sugar soln added to new hive after 3 days.

Motivation was two-fold - need for another colony and as a pre-emtive swarm control measure

There is very little sign of activity outside the new hive although there are bees still in there. I was intending to leave them alone and see what happens. Or should I check to see if there is any indication of queen production and/or enough nurse bees to keep it viable?

Original hive continues to build up and putting in lots of honey - probably OSR - so added another super last night.

Any advice on what to do if anything, please?

I carried out a split on my single brood box national hive 9 days ago by placing 3 frames of bias ( and nurse bees) in another national hive with two frames of stores and two of foundation.

If you placed them in the same apiary how many extra frames of bees did you shake into the nuc, as any older bees would fly back to the original hive.

If it is an emergency queen you want the nuc to produce then just one frame of brood with eggs and small larvae would be better, and shake in about five or six good frames of extra bees.

Last edited:
Back