Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

keithgrimes 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
When I started on this migraine-inducing hobby I was told by an experienced beekeeper 'don't worry, the bees will teach you everything you need to know, it'll probably take about 25 years'. Well I've learned another lesson. I have two colonies in Nationals and a nuc with an unmated queen (at least, no eggs two days ago). They all need building up so I fed all three 1:1 last night. Just got back from observing the site. Guess what. Bees from the two Nationals robbing the nuc blind, even though all three are beinhg fed. I guess if I had half a brain I would have predicted that. Anyway - lesson learned - site weak nucs away from main colonies. I'm not devastated as the queen in the nuc was an opportunistic try by me after discovering QCs in another colony.

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
When I started on this migraine-inducing hobby I was told by an experienced beekeeper 'don't worry, the bees will teach you everything you need to know, it'll probably take about 25 years'. Well I've learned another lesson. I have two colonies in Nationals and a nuc with an unmated queen (at least, no eggs two days ago). They all need building up so I fed all three 1:1 last night. Just got back from observing the site. Guess what. Bees from the two Nationals robbing the nuc blind, even though all three are beinhg fed. I guess if I had half a brain I would have predicted that. Anyway - lesson learned - site weak nucs away from main colonies. I'm not devastated as the queen in the nuc was an opportunistic try by me after discovering QCs in another colony.
i bet they find it again , perhaps close the Nuc up tonight, leave for two days closed, if its got a round entrance hole, put in a 6" length of hose pipe as a tunel entrance

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Colonies without a mated and egg laying queen can become disorganised and dispirited. Easy prey to robber bees/wasps.

Hebeegeebee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 on a good day, often more..
Better to have the bees queing to get in and out than to have a large entrance and allow unwanted bees and wasps in.

Latest posts