Another mistake to learn from.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When I started on this migraine-inducing hobby I was told by an experienced beekeeper 'don't worry, the bees will teach you everything you need to know, it'll probably take about 25 years'. Well I've learned another lesson. I have two colonies in Nationals and a nuc with an unmated queen (at least, no eggs two days ago). They all need building up so I fed all three 1:1 last night. Just got back from observing the site. Guess what. Bees from the two Nationals robbing the nuc blind, even though all three are beinhg fed. I guess if I had half a brain I would have predicted that. Anyway - lesson learned - site weak nucs away from main colonies. I'm not devastated as the queen in the nuc was an opportunistic try by me after discovering QCs in another colony.

When I started on this migraine-inducing hobby I was told by an experienced beekeeper 'don't worry, the bees will teach you everything you need to know, it'll probably take about 25 years'. Well I've learned another lesson. I have two colonies in Nationals and a nuc with an unmated queen (at least, no eggs two days ago). They all need building up so I fed all three 1:1 last night. Just got back from observing the site. Guess what. Bees from the two Nationals robbing the nuc blind, even though all three are beinhg fed. I guess if I had half a brain I would have predicted that. Anyway - lesson learned - site weak nucs away from main colonies. I'm not devastated as the queen in the nuc was an opportunistic try by me after discovering QCs in another colony.

i bet they find it again , perhaps close the Nuc up tonight, leave for two days closed, if its got a round entrance hole, put in a 6" length of hose pipe as a tunel entrance

Colonies without a mated and egg laying queen can become disorganised and dispirited. Easy prey to robber bees/wasps.

Better to have the bees queing to get in and out than to have a large entrance and allow unwanted bees and wasps in.

Latest posts

Back