Angry Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duchy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 hives and 2-4 nucs
My hive is queenless, I am pretty sure they have swarmed.
I have left 2 queencells for them (Thursday), but the bees are angry. Bees will chase you down the garden, and are stinging, even at say 25meters or more away from the hive. Any suggestions?

Good lord, sounds like you got my bees, thats exactly what mine do as well. Got me in the week 20 yards from hive, dive bombed and stung on face. I found two capped queen cells and no queen. removed cells and brood and stores into empty hive. going i tomorrow to find out what has happeend

Good lord, sounds like you got my bees, thats exactly what mine do as well. Got me in the week 20 yards from hive, dive bombed and stung on face. I found two capped queen cells and no queen. removed cells and brood and stores into empty hive. going i tomorrow to find out what has happeend

you want some more I have got half a dozen like that:icon_204-2:

you appear to have an aggressive queenless hive.
Not sure why you've left two cells rather than one.

Leave them for 6 weeks, if there's no laying queen buy another queen

after the two possible scenarios its unlikely there will be an aggressive hive.

One question
Is your other hive as aggressive?

Possibly a bit grumpy due to weather and being queen minus.

My sister who lives in North Devon/ Somerset borders often seems to have problems with a stingy bee colony, but it seems that there is a great deal of the pure hybridised type of bee locally, her neighbour buys in new stock every year, possibly even imports.
I have given her the occasional queen ( and last year 3 nucs!) so possibly I have not helped in any way to keep her bee type "local"

My nearest keeper of bees ( that I know of) is a good 12 miles from me, and I think I have the local Dark Devonshire lasses, probably retaining some of the genes from the man up the roads bees in the Abbey!
Not aggressive at all, even when queen minus.
Good luck and think before you dig deep into your pockets and do anything rash!

Best of luck
James

Queenless hives can be quite moody, once all is done (breaking down to the one cell or two) leave them to it and they should hopefully be back to normal once the new queen is laying.

I've got a queenless hive at present, knocked back to just a single sealed queen cell, and despite the cooler temperature today, and full inspection, my bees were very pleasant (the best they've been for a while!). Probably because all the "nasty" flying bees, have become someone elses problem (now!), as they swarmed last Thursday, but some returned to the hive! (very odd!). Anyway, we will wait and see what happens in the future, with new queen, it could all change!

You can't do much about the current situation other than a) move your colony to an out apiary or b) hope that any new queen mates soon and your bees settle down or c) destroy queen cells, hold queenless, and introduce new queen - which may well not work.

Once the queen has mated and her offspring have come through assess their temper and re-queen if required.

Thank you for your suggestions. Hopefully I will have a new mated queen soon. They were very nice and placid before...

Latest posts

Back