Amazing series of films about skep beekeeping in Germany

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I have seen them many times too. I bought the DVDs when they first came out back in the 80's/90's. I have even bought books on breeding (in German) that weren't available in English wherever I thought I might learn something new. Of course, I had to put a bit of effort into translating them but they were worth it.
I hope to one day know everything, like you.
Nobody knows everything about Beekeeping, that is what I like about the Craft, always learning!

How do you know from what cow your milk comes. Lots of workers in Finnish robot byres come from Ukraine.

I learn so much when I read your lovely writings.... they are real history books.
Well that's me Finnie ... an old codger who liked some things the way they were ... .:)

Nobody knows everything about Beekeeping, that is what I like about the Craft, always learning!

You do not need to know everything about beekeeping . Like in this forum most of knowledge is nonsense. Selfmade theories, like why some colonies are angry. Always learning nonsense.

I'm curious why you call them "German" black mongrels. The commonly held belief is that Amm dominated the whole of western Europe. Were they killed/re-introduced into Finland?

Black bees have never lived in Finnish nature before importing from Sweden.
In Finland they were called "German Black". They were neither killed nor re-introduced.

They were mongrels, because nobody breeded or selected them.
And if you have a skep, you cannot change the queen.

:D

My milk, delivered to my door, comes from grass fed cows from a local farm just down the road. :)
I do not drink milk, because it makes me fart.

I buy milk products from local Lidl when I need them. No one in Finlad gets his/her milk to front door.

Our cows are fed with grass too, because cows are grass eaters.

Fascinating watching. I was particularly impressed with the hands free smoker as one thing I could do with. Are these still made?

I watched these films one wet winter several years ago. I found them enjoyable and fascinating. At the time I was regularly going to the BOAR bases on Luneberg Heath and had seen stands of the skep hives in several places.
I will rewatch them soon. As one member says they are a suberb historical record.

I had one skep 55 years ago, but I cannot see anything amazing in it.

I cannot see any amazing in catching swarms.

You cannot keep modern bee colony in a skep. It lays one week and then swarms.
What do you do with a skep full of larvae?

It is same with milk cows. Finish original milk cow was 70 years ago about 300 kg. Now cows are about 1000 kg. No one keep here "museum cows" any more for nothing.
Imagine repeating your operation 700 times! I thought the sheer scale and skills in the enterprise amazing. Sorry you didn't. I loved the self sufficient use of resources too. One day that knowledge might be useful again, if not now or not your cup of tea ,(or milk).

Imagine repeating your operation 700 times! I thought the sheer scale and skills in the enterprise amazing. Sorry you didn't. I loved the self sufficient use of resources too. One day that knowledge might be useful again, if not now or not your cup of tea ,(or milk).

Laari laari laa.
Vaari muorin saa.
Kaikuvi suloinen Suomen maa.

To take into use a method, which even Englishmen have abandoned 50 years ago.
I ask why, why, why .... (repeating)

Latest posts

Back