Amazing series of films about skep beekeeping in Germany

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20297

Queen Bee
Reaction score
This is a great watch...relevant even though it may be an antiquated method of beekeeping; it's long but very interesting.

Last edited:
We have a few Skep Makers around here, who used to give demonstrations of there hobby. They are very useful for catching a swarm in, especially if you have an enclosed top one. A Gentleman very kindly made me a light skep some years ago and gifted it to me for swarms. There is no top hole where the Bees would ordinarily go up to the Cap for honey storage, therefore it is just for swarm catching. I used to collect old Skeps and their Caps and stands, however they are very hard to come by in good order. Now it is Old Ceramic Section Containers, however same applies very scarce or expensive.

The whole series is a wonderful watch. Most of us stumbled across these years ago. So it's a timely reminder for everyone to look at them.

I didn't think they would be new to you time-served ladies and gents....but the beekeeping work is wonderful to watch. :)

Last edited:
This is a great watch...relevant even though it may be an antiquated method of beekeeping; it's long but very interesting.

Watched these a couple of years ago - they are a fantastic historic record of skep beekeeping. What an art. I especially loved the swarm catching.

I had one skep 55 years ago, but I cannot see anything amazing in it.

I cannot see any amazing in catching swarms.

You cannot keep modern bee colony in a skep. It lays one week and then swarms.
What do you do with a skep full of larvae?

It is same with milk cows. Finish original milk cow was 70 years ago about 300 kg. Now cows are about 1000 kg. No one keep here "museum cows" any more for nothing.

Last edited:

It is same with milk cows. Finish original milk cow was 70 years ago about 300 kg. Now cows are about 1000 kg. No one keep here "museum cows" any more for nothing.

You can always learn from the past, even if it is only to see how far things have changed.

Last edited:
You can always learn rom the past, even if it is only to see how far things have changed.

I have seen those German films several times. I do not know, how many years ago.
Nothing new in them. And it does not harm if you do not know everything from past. Even nowadays beekeepers do odd things, which are surely not needed.

Last edited:
I have seen those German films several times.
Nothing new in them. And it does not harm if you do not know everything from past. Even nowadays beekeepers do odd things, which are surely not needed.
Oh dear ... I think you are Mr Grumpy today ... it's lovely watching old beekeeping films - there are precious few of them about - you may not learn a lot but I love seeing how things used to be done.

I'm not totally in favour of all the new hybrid breeds of livestock either - intended to produce more and more for less and less ... I have seen chickens that are produced for meat that can barely stand up because they have been bred to have the most useable meat where the packers want it ... and they are not a pretty sight.

I can't think that 1000Kg cows are where I would really like my milk to come from either ....

I can't think that 1000Kg cows are where I would really like my milk to come from either ....

How do you know from what cow your milk comes. Lots of workers in Finnish robot byres come from Ukraine.

I learn so much when I read your lovely writings.... they are real history books.

Last edited:
I have seen those German films several times. I do not know, how many years ago.

Yes. I have seen them many times too. I bought the DVDs when they first came out back in the 80's/90's. I have even bought books on breeding (in German) that weren't available in English wherever I thought I might learn something new. Of course, I had to put a bit of effort into translating them but they were worth it.
I hope to one day know everything, like you.

Yes. I have seen them many times too. I bought the DVDs when they first came out back in the 80's/90's. I have even bought books on breeding (in German) that weren't available in English wherever I thought I might learn something new. Of course, I had to put a bit of effort into translating them but they were worth it.
I hope to one day know everything, like you.

We use to say that repeating is a mother of learning.

I leave caught swarms in place in the skeps for one winter. Only remove in the following spring. It weeds out the weak and saves a lot of wasted time. Every queen I get from this is an over-wintered one. The smell from a well used skep is swarm magic.
I don't see much difference between remote bees now and 40 years ago. Town, city and less remote places maybe.
Finland has some amazing remote places, do bees live there?

I don't see much difference between remote bees now and 40 years ago. Town, city and less remote places maybe.

40 years ago our most common bees were German Black Mongrels. Then 20-30 years ago varroa killed all Black bees. Now 90% out of our bees are Italians. Italian strains are very different. And every year new blood comes from Italy.

It is sure that Italian race cannot live in skeps

40 years ago our most common bees were German Black Mongrels. Then 20-30 years ago varroa killed all Black bees. Now 90% out of our bees are Italians. Italian strains are very different. And every year new blood comes from Italy.

It is sure that Italian race cannot live in skeps

I'm curious why you call them "German" black mongrels. The commonly held belief is that Amm dominated the whole of western Europe. Were they killed/re-introduced into Finland?

How do you know from what cow your milk comes. Lots of workers in Finnish robot byres come from Ukraine.

I learn so much when I read your lovely writings.... they are real history books.
How do you know which byre your Ukrainian robot workers come from? :D

My milk, delivered to my door, comes from grass fed cows from a local farm just down the road.

I'm going to make a skep for swarm catching.
I also use a scythe for mowing the meadow in a local wood.
When it's a hobby, rather than an income, there are lots of things I am prepared to waste my time on, for no other reason than I enjoy them! :)

How do you know which byre your Ukrainian robot workers come from? :D

My milk, delivered to my door, comes from grass fed cows from a local farm just down the road.

I'm going to make a skep for swarm catching.
I also use a scythe for mowing the meadow in a local wood.
When it's a hobby, rather than an income, there are lots of things I am prepared to waste my time on, for no other reason than I enjoy them! :)

Years ago, I went on a course to learn how to make skeps properly. I came back enthusiastic about making my own, bought all the stuff and it sat in the garage...for 20+years

Latest posts

Back