Amazing footage of Asian hornet attacking a bee hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look quite different to the Asian hornets I see here - "ours" don't have yellow faces and are not so stripey

Are they Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia) rather than Asian Hornet - Vespa velutina nigrithorax?

Absolutely correct Cumbriannot worthy

The Asian hornet Vespa Velutina Nigrithorax, which we have and the UK is likely to get very soon, is much smaller and not so aggressive. Having had them for 4 seasons now I do not believe they are as much of a threat as the press have hyped them up to be. Still a pain though.

PS for Ident purposes my avatar is an asian hornet:)

Saw a documentary a few years ago that showed similar carnage but went on to show how Asian bees dealt with the Hornets by balling. The Hornets were huge like these but were less colourful, sort of terracotta.

i have the dvd of this at home,its from the Bbc's natural world collection. this episode is call Buddha,bees and the giant hornet queen,whole episode is about an hour long,well worth a watching.
Darren

There was a film on CBBC kids program the other week. They killed almost every Bee in no time at all.

Well that freaked me out a bit! I think if I got those round here I would end up giving up work to sit outside the hive to protect the girls. I'm bad enough with ordinary wasps!

Had to watch a clip of bees balling a hornet to calm down.

That is a brilliant video, unless you're a bee!

Do you have any nucs available this year? if so how much and when would they be available for collection.

Thanks,

Grant

Had to watch a clip of bees balling a hornet to calm down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EZtXNIT5QQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EZtXNIT5QQ[/ame]

bee-smillie
bee-smillie
bee-smillie
bee-smillie
bee-smillie
bee-smillie
bee-smillie
bee-smillie
bee-smillie
bee-smillie

i was doing an inspection today and while lifting a frame out a very large queen wasp landing on the bottom of it,within seconds she was pounced on and dropped down into the brood box,some how she managed to claw her way up between the frames and made a break for freedom.
i was glad in way she made it out alive.
Darren

Latest posts

Back