Alpacas and Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiftyjon

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few more than 10
I have been informed by the owner of the land I keep some of my hives on that they want to have Alpacas in the same field. :eek:

I will now have to finance stock proof fencing around my hives. :cuss:

Now, have any of you good people any experience with alapacas and bees?

p.s. they also thought that there were taps on the side of hives to fill up your honey jars. :rolleyes:

Alpacas are very inquisitive animals with long necks that can reach a long way over fencing. I would invest in an electric fence and keep them well away from the bees. Otherwise I would install wood rail fencing. Wire stock fencing??? I doubt that will work.

I keep Alpacas and bees. The hives are not in the same area as the bees the are seperated by a post and rail fence.

As a previous person has said they are quite inquisitive, they like to rub or scratch against objects, so a hive could be toppled. Or injury if they poked their noses where not wanted!

I have never had any issues of the bees taking exception to the Alpacas.

Alpacas do not challenge fences either, not knowing how large your apiary is a post and green wind style netting fence should do it.

Remember they have long necks too so give enough distance from your fence to the hives.

A bee wont cause an Alpaca any bother, a sting wont penetrate the thich fur they carry.

Electric fencing should not be used as it will not work with the thick fur covering and can cause injury to their sensitive noses.

Do not use barbed wire either the animal can become tangled, with an animal costing in access of £3k could be an expensive bill with the vet.

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of putting the fencing certainly more than 6 foot away from the hives and at a minimum of 4 foot high.

:iagree:

And take the hives AND the bees!! :rofl:

IMO Alpacas are nasty aliens that would have been best left on the Andes!

and where are the Andes?... on the end of your armies... silly!

Relocate?

Simpler and cheaper.

PH

Yes, it is a serious consideration they are becoming a little difficult, the landowners that is.

It's a good excuse to throw the towel in and move them elsewhere.

If Alpacas are born in this country are they also considered alien, And your Andes are next to your wristies, your right silly but some things stick for life :biggrinjester:

We have friends who keep Alpacas.... there would appear to be many variants, as with bees ...fierce arguments rage on about which kind are nearest to the original South American type !

If Alpacas are born in this country are they also considered alien,

I wouldn't know about domestic animals but certainly with wildlife Grey Squirrels are considered alien.

In fact I think (and I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong) that any animal or plants (wildlife not domestic) which hasn't made its own unaided way here since the last ice age is considered an alien.

So Little Egrets which flew the channel aren't alien but Grey Squirrels which were introduced are.

I wouldn't know about domestic animals but certainly with wildlife Grey Squirrels are considered alien.

In fact I think (and I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong) that any animal or plants (wildlife not domestic) which hasn't made its own unaided way here since the last ice age is considered an alien.

So Little Egrets which flew the channel aren't alien but Grey Squirrels which were introduced are.
Is rape seed alien as I see that growing everywhere these days and not in farmers fields, if so do we put this in the same category as Himalayan Balsam ?. Sorry for the questions but this subject has always confused me. Were humans domesticated after the ice age if so was it only the red haired variety or was it dark haired ???? do humans have the right to live in this country, fast growing pine trees are allowed but not fast growing HB, now I am starting to make my self dizzy :banghead:

My understanding is that once out of the field it is an alien.

It is in the same category as Himalayan Balsam with regard to the "status" but I doubt it will ever be as invasive or damage UK flora in the way or to the extent that HB does.

As we are humans and the categories are of necessity created by humans the species Homo sapiens does not come into the categorisation. Unless of course you are a certain Austrian, turned German politician a number of decades ago.

So what is the difference on the impact of our environment between HM and deforestation as far as I can see it deforestation has a far greater effect on our river banks

So what is the difference on the impact of our environment between HM and deforestation as far as I can see it deforestation has a far greater effect on our river banks

The difference is that virtually all trees in this country are owned and planted. It is difficult to tell say a farmer they can't harvest their crop.

Also the deforestation by its very nature is only once in a while and is replaced by something often more trees.

Himalayan Balsam being an annual smothers the native flora leaving bare earth to be eroded by the water course (it favours water courses) and this occurs year after year.

Deforestation again by its very nature doesn't spread. HB being an annual with an effective method of spreading seed and often growing by water courses spreads down stream easily and quickly.

Back