Allotment neighbour issues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Been keeping my bees on an allotment for over a year now and no problems. The plot holder next to me has decided to take on some spare land behind my apiary (but has already got a plot at the side of them. I did warn him that it can be possible for bees to chase or warn them off if they get too close. The guy is constantly constructing loft's for his pigeons which is upsetting the bees and after hammering a fence very close to the apiary, they have decided to "mob him" (in his words) but not sting him. This only happens very occasionally.

The apiary is separated by 7ft high scaffold netting to get the bees as high as possible. Are there any other things I can do about this? I've tried to explain that bees can be defensive especially with loud noises but can possibly see the situation getting worse as bees numbers increase and weather improving.

I'd appreciate your advice

A
My take on this is that you were there first with the allotment committee's permission (yes?)
Your bees are providing a service, his pigeons, are not! (Unless you kill and eat them. The pigeons that is) As another forum member has pointed out, 'are pigeons permitted?'.
Sounds to me as if you have done all in your power (atm) to accommodate safe beekeeping within the allotments.

I'm with you. Good luck.

I have hives on my allotment and so far no problems, most other allotment holders are pleased to see them, and I spend more time talking about the bees than gardening these days.

Check with your committee, you might find that pigeons are not allowed since they produce nothing, they are not even useful for slug control.

As far as I know you are not aloud to sell things from your allotment, I know that is the case where we are. However also similar case as with you we have a waiting list but there are people who have four allotments etc if you know Fred. You said he makes money from his pigeons you could argue that case, and say you give most of your honey away or is just a hobby... Hope that helps.

We don't keep our bees at the lotty due to theft (you would be pretty stoopid to steal bees with out knowing about them) but anyway people do have hives on there and they are really no problem. I hope things work in your favor, but do get a back up plan together. He is silly for taking the plot near then bees anyway and then causing a fuss.

Hi, in my experience some allotment holders run with the hare and the hounds, I moved my hives from my allotment due to a similar problem. To my face everyone thought it was great that we had Bees on our site but behind my back some of the allotment holders were stirring other plot holders up, so in the end I moved them, then guess what everyone then says what a shame that we do not have Bees on our site now. I told the secretary that while ever we have two faced ----holes on our site my Bees are staying away, he did not understand as in his opinion we are one happy family, feel better now I have got it off my chest

I'm not sure how allotments work as I jave never had one. But if it is a democracy and you have a voting system then get everyone to vote. Chances are there will be only one vote for moving the bees away. Everyone else wants there crops pollinated and aren't affected by them. In this case it is the neighbour causing an issue and not you. It isn't like a home, he doesn't have to have an allotment and he certainly doesn't have to have two!

Pigeons would not be allowed at our sites. Pigeons are not covered by statutory legislation, either (hens and rabbits, I believe), but you could say his pigeons are also causing a nuisance. It's called getting your retaliation in early.

The council have approved pigeons of which most of us are NOT pleased...this is because they don't produce anything in terms of produce to eat. They are for racing and making money.

Although the council is the landlord, if statutory allotment land, it is prohibited for use for commercial purposes. That might include him breeding pigeons for sale and possibly even gambling, but that might
Be a bit more difficult.

As far as I know you are not aloud to sell things from your allotment

Yes, you are allowed to sell the excess produce, but not use the land for commercial purposes, ie deliberately grow cash crops.

Latest posts

Back