All the Gear No Idea - A Beginners Journey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shall immediately change my username to Kubota04owner :biggrinjester:

Rab,

Thanks for the response, I must admit I like your straight forward advice so there was no slur intended.

We did not want to lose the Queen from Hive 1 as she is a good one, the hive is drawing its 3rd super. I suspect the stores were from feeding as the weather was bad and all had to draw comb etc when we got them. We took a belt and braces approach and split Hive 1 brood boxes ( with supers / queen excluder) supplying the original queen with mostly foundation. On inspection yesterday there were no new Queen Cells, but that doesn't mean we have cured the swarming issue only time will tell. I also suspect we were a little late putting super on. There was more than the 2 Charged celss originally but we only left 2 "live" when we moved the frames.

All the hives are double brood (apart from the AS Hive 5), all have 2 or 3 supers on with at least 1 full and drawing comb on others although the last 2 weeks they have been at a bit of a standstill due to the rain.

As you can imagine being inexperienced it was a suprise to find 2 queens in there so I suspect as you say it was just timing. I have put the smaller one in a nuc and left closed and will open up later. I will try and get a couple of pics as I can't honestly tell whether 1st one is mated or not, because this is a first for us and we are trying to learn as best we can. I suspect you might say she is too small and not worth the bother which is fair enough.

We know we are going to make mistakes and have made several already, and given the strength of Nucs and size we are probably (well definitely) facing issues that most newbies will face in their second year rather than their first. We will work ourselves through it, its a case of a steeper learning curve but will put us in good stead for next year as we will be in a much better position to handle second year issues, hopefully.

I will from now on issues only put up a single post rather than a general update on the apiary, with better clearer information so people such as yourselves can give more relevant advice.

Thanks again

Kev

PS I thought the practice was to leave 2 cells for insurance purposes.
Opening well anxious to see if their had emerged safely and there was a queen there, what should you do?

Last edited:
I can't honestly tell whether 1st one is mated or not,

Open queen cells on the 4th June and mated by the 17th(?). Very unlikely!

PS I thought the practice was to leave 2 cells for insurance purposes.

An inexperienced 'one or two colony owner' doing an A/S, definitely a 'yes' (as long as all the process is completed). Making splits, no. Better to make two splits and unite later, if the one fails or you didn't need want the extra insurance, after all - so it depends on what your aspirations are for future colony numbers, need for queens from that particular gene line, etc. Lots of reasons for choosing a particular route.

Think about it - you filled a nuc hive with bees and two cells. That is not so very much different from a single brood full hive with 2 cells (although there may be more emerging workers in the full hive, as normally all brood except one frame would be left). So there is a risk of a cast.

Further leaving an open queen cell is far more certain, for success, than leaving one capped cell (cell could be empty, a dud or it may be shaken and killed).

RAB

Rab,

You got us on the "inexperienced" bit.

Sorry I was thinking along the lines of "Nuc" being a split, what we did was placed the frames in normal brood box with a couple of foundation frames aswell, but did make sure there were plenty of bees, so in hindsight should of just left the 1, will know better for next time.

The 2 I left were on the same frame.

The main concern was not to lose original queen rather than another hive, we are in the deep end, deep enough already.

Thank you

Well here are the pictures of the new Queens that were both happily in the brood box. (Probably Timing as Rab has said).

First one is bigger and is lighter than her mother and was left in Brood Box.

FirstonFrame500.jpg

First2500.jpg

First3500.jpg

First4500.jpg

Second is smaller and darker and put in Poly Nuc, but is she a "Scrub Queen"

2nd1500.jpg

2nd3500.jpg

Any observations gratefully accepted, I haven't a clue mated or not.

Yesterday our neighbour the golf course came and had a swarm near the green and asked if I would remove it. Well living upto the thread name I thought what the hell how hard can it be. Poly Nuc in hand off we went, it was about 15ft up in a Sycramore. There is a video but I think my email is bouncing it so will try to get it on another email address, not one to view if your heavily into Health and Safety. Got most first attempt but golf course wanted the reaminder so had a second go, left the Nuc under the tree for a few hours and went back to collect it, left a few stragglers but don't think you can get 100%. Not bad for a first attempt. Not sure what they are very similar to Buckfast but a bit smaller than mine, a fair few bees, couldn't see the Queen anywhere.

The thought did cross my mind that they were ours anyway, so checked that the original Queens were still present and correct.

Not a clue is this a prime swarm size or cast with a likely virgin?

Are they Buckfasts or something else?

I will put up the video if I get it.

DidsburyOnBranch.jpg-large.jpeg

DidsburyInBox.jpg-large.jpeg

SwarminNuc500.jpg

SwarmwithBox500.jpg

SwarmFrame500.jpg

Prime - brood within a week; cast - will take a little longer (or a lot!)

If the queen is marked - it will be a prime!

Looks big enough to be a prime.

Probably 'something else' if a cast - 'diluted' genes due to open mating - or at least her offspring will be.

Looks a fair size in the tree but not so large in the nuc. Is that with all the bees? Just guaging it by two primes I collected recently in the same model of nuc. Both occasions I had to re-visit with a brood box because they wouldn't all fit in the nuc.

Its a fair few bees I think, the feeder had a big clump, there was a fair amount on the 2 frames, pictures are of two seperate frames. By the look of it won't really get a chance to have a look to next week now, so will gain a better idea of numbers if they have settled and on frames. I wouldn't of had to go to get a bigger box to fit them all in either, just aswell we don't have any.

Rab thanks, I had figured out that if a marked queen it would be prime, but nothing obvious that I could see but its difficult when in heaps, I also know that if she isn't marked it doesn't rule out prime as not everybody has marked queens.

Ok, I'm talking about trouble getting the frames in due to bee numbers and finding a tea plate sized cluster hanging under the roof when I returned.

This mugging weather is playing havoc, not just the bees but all the work that needs doing on the site aswell, so just taking the opportunity when we can, the bees seem to enjoy leading us a merry dance.

Many mistakes so here goes.

Lost 1 queen I presume to swarm, a failed attempt at Demaree although bees seemed determined to go.

The swarm we collected is doing nicely and the queen is laying.

The 2 virgins that were in the same box, put the smaller one in a Nuc which was laying and what I thought was the better bigger one in Brood box, with frames from Demarree. That Queen wasn't laying and I found what looked like to me a supcedure cell, out of what I don't know, so made the decision to unite with other Queen and dispose of that one, so used a spare Brood Box and they seem happy enough with it at the minute, the Queen seems happy and laying nicely.

Went into another hive and found a lot of charged Queen Cells, but no Queen. The cells were all over the place similar to when I accidentally killed a Queen, so I think something happened to her rather than swarmed, doesn't seem to be any bees gone, left 1 charged cell intact. She was the best Queen so decided to replace Queen Cell I put in Nuc from other hive with one from her, luckily as it turned out as the other Queen Cell was just brown sludge when I squashed it.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see cells in the other one if weather lets us inspect over the next week.

Lots of bees with white markings as there is a fair bit of Himilayan Balsam kicking about around us.

They are certainly keeping us on our toes and fair to say they're winning at the minute, but we are learning a lot aswell. I have noticed from the posts that its probably not been a great year to jump in at the deep end, but what the hell. :)

Not really had the time to update this with all the things needed doing on the site inbetween the all too frequent rain, it seems to have never stopped this year, indeed probably not spent as much time on the bees as we should of.

Thought it was worthwhile for newbies to give an update at the end of the season how we have gone on in our 1st year and what happens next.

Well we got through it despite the weather, our hamfisted attempts at keeping bees and inexperience, thanks mostly to Hivemaker, some advice on here and sheer stubborness, fair to say the bees won the 1st round.

We did despite all of the above manage to get approximately 200 lbs of honey off the 4 / 4.5 working hives so given the circumstances we appear to have done OK.

For those wanting to start here are our numerous mistakes, thoughts and observations.

We jumped in at the deep end with 4 Hivemaker special over wintered nucs and probably bit off more than we could chew. However with the weather being so bad, nucs being delivered late, the possibility of poorly mated queens we are happy with the decision we made.

We have probably encountered most problems newbies come across in their 2nd year, in our 1st which has its pro's and cons. This year we have done
Marked Queens
AS
Demaree (failed)
Combined
Caught a Swarm
Requeened
Made up Nucs
Got Stung
Got Wet
Got Frustrated

We have learnt a hell of a lot, but not enough so much more to get our heads around. We are busy treating at the moment and then feed and winter, most seem OK but slightly worried about 1 nuc. See how many come through the winter and how well or not the queens have mated.

We have learnt too much to list here, but one of the important things for a newbie is that you think you have found all the Queen Cells you haven't the little B(ees) hide them everywhere.

As for advice and the myriad of choices you have all are viable just some more than others. Opinions differ greatly especially on here, some are just hobbyist some are professional and some inbetween, whatever advice you take for whatever problem you have there will always be an alternative given, don't beat yourself up over which course of action you decide to take if it doesn't work out. You should do what you feel is right depending on what you want / expect from the bees so if your expectation is small there is no real need to get yourself paranoid over swarming etc.

There are various schools of thought around what you need and experience needed to start beekeeping, some say Theory plus another year with mentor etc. Just starting out you need theory and some experience (we didn't) but in my opinion not that much. You do need someone you can trust and ring for advice, preferably with the patience of jobe and can draw pretty pictures. Its also pointless if you are just relying on them or here totally, don't be afraid to try some things yourself and be prepared for them not to work, its the only real way to learn. Most importantly enjoy it, its absolutely fascinating.

Looking back at the start we registered the site very early and had the Bee Inspector down and what he said to us is not far off the mark, Good Equipment, Good Stock and your 90% there.

We owe a big debt of gratitude to Hivemaker and have taken note of advice given by PH, O90 and Finman to name a few on various threads that has helped us along the way. So Thank you.

Only one more update after the winter then this will be finished with, hope some find it useful.

We jumped in at the deep end with 4 Hivemaker special over wintered nucs

This year we have
Marked Queens

Ha Ha that caught me out too.

I had a queen from Hivemaker last year and she was marked.
I presumed the same this year till on a subsequent inspection I found a lovely fat ginger unmarked queen wandering about :biggrinjester:

One more to find next spring!

We jumped in at the deep end

We owe a big debt of gratitude to Hivemaker and have taken note of advice given by PH, O90 and Finman to name a few on various threads that has helped us along the way. So Thank you.

Good post

Many would share that last sentiment....I certainly wouldn't have got through year 3 with so little despair if it were not for that advice so thanks from me too.

Well last post for 1st year and this thread, with winter nearly over. Haven't really messed with the bees at all, let them get on with it, treated around New Year put fondant on (probably too much) and left them to it again, 2 of the Nucs weren't looking likely to see out the winter. All the Hives were out last week so thought best check stores today and 1 Nuc has all but gone if not totally, it was the swarm we picked up off the golf course and didn't look like Buckfasts so who knows, the other still borderline. Put a bit more feed on a couple of others and have to my inexperience eye 2 very strong hives for this time of year.

The strongest one seems to be the "scrub queen" (see above post somewhere) that we would of undoubtably killed if we didn't have a spare box in favour of the much bigger and commonly regarded better queen in the same hive, which turned out to be a complete dud.

They weren't particularly keen on me messing about today and strangely I had the nervousness of my 1st look into a hive back, its been that long. Made a few mistakes going into winter, not sure we left the ones in double brood we should of, a few other little things. Looking forward to starting this year and building up some more hives, the bees definately won last year, this year we are hoping for a draw that would be an improvement.

All in all given where we started don't think we have done so bad, although we would of preferred no losses at all.

Great to have an update from you. I'd love to read about "All the gear and no idea - Year 2"

Cheers

Yesterday was a decent day so went into the hives for the first time to clean them up and find out where we stood.

We moved the hives a few weeks ago about a 100 yards and put them on gravel, still need to do some work around them and fence them off, but at least away from the edge of the site and the sticks that tend to be thrown at them.

As you can see all of them flying as have been for the last few weeks, but not really warm enough to have a decent look as I tend to be slow.

We lost 1 nuc about a month ago, it was the swarm we collected, not enough bees left the rest seem OK. Lacking experience we were worried about the ones we left on double brood and the ones we squeezed into single. Lots of dead bees on the mesh floors some fondant left on a couple, most gone, seem to have enough for the minute.

Made the mistake of putting fondant in the feed slot of the poly nucs, now rock solid and will be a real pain (pun intended) to clean out.

Pleased with most of the hives lots of bees as you can see, plenty of brood some drone but not a lot. Lost the habit (and failing eyes) of spotting queens but seen half of them. One nuc bursting at the seams and had made comb in feeder with brood needs to be moved up, other not far behind. Bit disappointed with the poly national as moved a nuc into towards end of last season, but it has just stood still, again possibly should of left in nuc for winter. A couple of the full hives have a lot of bees and brood as you can see.

We have now got 3 14 x 12 boxes and will be moving some into those and see where we go from there. Having jumped in the deep end last season (our 1st) just have to wait and see what the little darlings throw at us this year, still a lot to work to do on the site so again they will have to take their turn.

OutsideHives.jpg

OutsideH2.jpg

InsideFrames.jpg

Frame.jpg

Well decent day yesterday so took the opportunity to give all of them a good once over.

We moved one hive to 14 x 12 a week and a bit ago inbetween showers and fed them a couple of times, doing well brood queen and all frames nearly drawn, so moved another 2 to 14 x 12 aswell. We have been lucky than some and have plenty of bees so used the frames to strengthen other hives who also had enough bees to cope and made up 4 nucs. All queens present no swarm cells, a few play cups but that was it, 1 queen isn't doing that well in terms of brood so didn't strengthen that hive and hoping for an extra frame with a QC from one of the nucs and she will go the journey and be replaced with the frame. As we will not get a chance to do much with them next couple of weeks we also put supers on them in case good weather keeps up (I wish)

Pics from yesterday, below more about today.

Most of Line

MostHives.jpg

14 x 12 done yesterday

14by12.jpg

Nucs made up yesterday

nucs.jpg

At about 12 today seen a lot of bees in the flying around in different directions so went and had a look. The end hive they were "boiling out" of the entrance. Having not seen this before it was a little intimidating / scarey I am assuming they didn't like their new home and had decided to find a new one instead. Fortunately I had placed a QE under the new brood box so they headed back after about half an hour and its a strange sight.

Tried to take a picture of how many bees there were in the air not great but might give you an idea.

Inflight.jpg

Starting to settle back onto hive

REturningSide.jpg

Closer shot a little later

CloseSideFront.jpg

There is a hive under that lot somewhere, honest not bad considering made strong nucs out of it the day before.

FrontCovered.jpg

By 1.30 it was back to business as usual

BacktoNormal.jpg

I would hope they will just settle down and get on with drawing frames now just have to wait and see.

hi from manc also

hi as a wannabe bee keeper i would love the chance to come and see your set up, where abouts are you.
at the moment i am looking for a place to keep a hive myself as my garden isnt suitable, then once i have found that i will be in the same confusing place that you were with regards to kit and bees etc.

good luck

Latest posts

Back