air force one deployed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I checked my hives at the weekend, one was very busy, like Heathrow airport and the other more like Caernarfon airport - nothing doing. I find it rather worrying. What's the difference? I wonder if the quiet hive will survive the winter.

I have 3 WBC's, they all work at different rates, I'm not sure wether its due to how the sun catchs the hives, but they are always the same, left, centre right, is the order they start working, all summer and now in the winter.

Were yours the same in the summer (as they are now)?

Yes, Hive 2, as I call it has always seemed slower/lazier than hive 1. When I did the Oxalic treatment, I noticed it was also much smaller in number but there seemed to be bees on about 7 frames. They are both on brood and a half and hive 1 had bees on 7 frames but the cluster was right through both boxes where as there were no bees in the top box of the smaller hive.

Well, I wouldn't worry about it. When they change behaviour might be time for concern.

Has one got a newer Queen?

Does one get more sun?

I find mine are very sensetive to the weather.

I find mine are very sensetive to the weather.

One of mine and both of Andrea's are very sensitive to the s0dding woody that's had a go in that apiary....

six hives now coccooned in wire mesh and me and mr 12 bore are out a stalking....

going back on thread, one of Andrea's is far more active than any other hive later in the day, yet it's like me, a slow riser....

six hives, all south facing across open fields (slightly differing orientations obv', to avoid drifting) but all in similar levels of sun / rain / weather, yet this one is "different".....

my thoughts are that it's down to the strain of bee?

"incoming" :sifone:

One of mine and both of Andrea's are very sensitive to the s0dding woody that's had a go in that apiary....

six hives now coccooned in wire mesh and me and mr 12 bore are out a stalking....

going back on thread, one of Andrea's is far more active than any other hive later in the day, yet it's like me, a slow riser....

six hives, all south facing across open fields (slightly differing orientations obv', to avoid drifting) but all in similar levels of sun / rain / weather, yet this one is "different".....

my thoughts are that it's down to the strain of bee?

"incoming" :sifone:

early bird catches woody. wont get him wandering in at midday. not sure about legality of lead injections for a woody anyway

Injecting Mr Woody with lead is highly illegal.Also a roll of wire mesh costs less than a box of cartridges these days.Pin some lengths of plastic onto wooden stakes and stick into the ground around your hives so that the plastic strips flutter.Mr Woody is quite shy and wont like the movement.This plus wrapping the hives in mesh should keep him/her away.

second johna

"The Green Woodpecker is protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and EC Bern Convention, Appendix II."

Don't you dare shoot the woodpeckers!!! Just protect the hive and deter them.

Now pigeons are another thing.....:coolgleamA:

Post was written "tongue in cheek" plus I'm not that good a shot anyway....... :Angel_anim:

Also a roll of wire mesh costs less than a box of cartridges these days.

I hand roll all my ammunition from .223 up to 10 bore, to the extent i also cast boolits for most of my centre fire calibres... cant think when i actually bought any ammo apart from .22RF :coolgleamA:

the hives were "meshificated" with chicken wire as soon as woody's headbanging activities were noticed and touch wood....y, it seems to have worked...

as my original post did say though, one of the hives affected is noticibly different in it's activity times than the others.......

My busy hive had some flying about at 4 o'clock yesterday and it was just starting to get dark. Only a few from other hive.
This morning busy ones were out at 9 o'clock....

Mine are flying like a summer day today... I'm a little concerned that they may be robbing other local hives (of which there are many) but I haven't trained them :D

Just back from mine, all three are active, even the teenagers. (They are the colony that don't get up 'til lunchtime)

Mine flying like a summers day too in Teesside. 13 degrees and a couple of hundred dead disposed of by undertaker bees. Both hives look healthy which is good after such a cold November and December. Lots of cleansing and orientating flights. I'm now looking forward to my second year as a beekeeper, especially swarm control. Thanks for everyone's posts over the winter they are very informative for a newbee.

11 degrees and bees going mad flying some were coming back with pollen it was light grey not white does anyone know what pollen it could be

Few of mine out again today.

I think they exhausted themselves yesterday.

On one hive I removed the roof which covers the wood shavings filled quilt box, and was suprised at how much heat I felt when I buried my hand into the wood shavings..... the other hive was not really warm at all....

11 degrees and bees going mad flying some were coming back with pollen it was light grey not white does anyone know what pollen it could be

Nearest I can find on my colour chart is Alder or Hazel, but looks more white than grey.

Are the bees on it?

No hellebore on my chart :(

There should be, its a popular flower.

Latest posts

Back