Air and crystallisation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How a honey crystallises is a property of the sugars it contains and the pollen left in it. I'm sure the only way you can alter it is by seeding. I had some mixed Heather and flower honey from Emyr and it soft set itself really nicely but I'm sure that was an inherent property of that particular mix.

Without starting another thread can anyone suggest the best way of allowing crystalisation of honey eg warm or cold so it does not form the ghastly large crystals at the bottom of a jar with the liquid at the top. I realise that seeding with fine crystals helps but the physical conditions would be of interest.
Dyce got right into the crystallisation subject. Really excellent that it is available via the Cornell University Library digital collections.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/hivebees7194746

Last edited:
Honey stored in cells has been filtered by the magic of the proventriculus and isnt exposed to anything but the sheer cell wall, that will seed crystalisation.
As soon as its extracted its been exposed to lots of particles that can seed its crystalisation.

Latest posts

Back