After the swarm....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Spinnaker

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 + 1 nuc
So my cells were, in fact swarm cells - they went today. There still seems to be a good amount of bees in the hive though, but they were much better tempered today than they have been of late.

I am left with 3 sealed queen cells - I think these were capped on Sunday/Monday. There is also an untidy open queen cell - it is open all down one side with a fat larva in it.

Do I destroy all but the open one (seems a shame as the capped ones are much bigger and look much better than the open one) or split the bees?

I suppose it's called learning the hard way :)

Help, my bees swarmed & there is no brood!
This is one of the most frequent problems for new beekeepers. What is happening?
• If a full colony swarms it is quite normal for the successor queen not to come into lay for 5 to 6
weeks.
• If beekeepers get worried about it and interfere too much they can kill any new queen
and be in more trouble!.
To solve it happening again the beekeeper needs to learn about Swarm control. (Another
project)
What is happening.
• Old queen gone with swarm
• 7 days later, cast goes - sometimes unobserved.
• They may cast twice!
• So, the successor queen may not have hatched until 10 days after the colony swarmed.
• No problem to the bees but it is to the beekeeper!
• It is normal for the new queen in such conditions, not to come into lay until there is NO BROOD
present.
• It is taught that a queen should come into lay in 4 weeks, but it is not emphasised that that can
be in the 6th week after the swarm has gone. (4 weeks plus 10 days)!
• As a trainer what you have to look for is are the cells in the centre of the brood nest
POLISHED? If they are , the queen is there..
• If not - try a test comb (eggs and larvae for them to raise cells on).
• Organising a test comb from a selected stock is perhaps the best thing to do in these
circumstances. It will either prompt the queen to come into lay or be the safest way of
solving the problem,
• though of course if the beekeeper has killed the queen by looking for her too hard, they
just have to learn not to do it again.
• Putting a cell in is a safe second alternative.
DON'T
• put a 'new' queen in! She will almost certainly be killed.
• The daughter queen is probably there, but they are difficult to spot, (being nubile and small as
her ovaries are not yet fully developed).
• The first eggs of a new queen are not the easiest thing to see, so the queen can have been in
lay for a week before beginners can see them. (All the more reason for people to learn to look at
brood and eggs with their reading glasses on and in good light).
• A large colony that has swarmed, can count on getting 30,000 emerging bees to nurse the next
lot. No problem, they swarmed because they could afford to split. Time is not of the essence to
them.
Nucleus
• With 3 to 5 comb nucs a different set of rules apply.
• They are small, they cannot expect 30,000 bees to emerge, so they must get the queen
mated and in lay ASAP.
• The queen can be in lay in a week after hatching!
• Now why didn't we take a nuc out with a queen cell as part of the aftermath of
swarming?
Ian McLean NDB
Worth a read Blue Spinaker

What a great reply Victor M. There is a lot of advice about swarm control but I don't see a lot about what happens after a swarm.

Thank you VM, that is really useful. I think I'm going to spread my bets, leave one cell in the hive, make a nuc with another and cut another out for a friend who thinks she's queenless. Hopefully between us we can get one success!

When I look again I will be interested to see if they were in the process of tearing down the open one - it had a big hole down one side.

Does size of queen cell have any effect on size/efficiency of queen?

Does size of queen cell have any effect on size/efficiency of queen?

Of course it can. Not saying it does in all cases, but think about it a little and you might realise why. A small queen that can get through a Q/E is not too desirable, just for starters.

Latest posts

Back