Afb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Have just been advised of AFB close to two of my apiary sites. Obviously I want to minimize infection, any advice welcome ?
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Avoid doing anything that might encourage robbing either by or from your bees.

In addition to the advice above, don't visit other apiaries and avoid other people visiting yours (unless it's the SBI).

Many thanks, I have been doing most of this but will reduce entrances first thing. Fingers crossed !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Returning cleared supers last thing in the evening should stop bees from other colonies being interested.

Read up on the symptoms, and look carefully for anything that might be amiss. If you do suspect anything, close the hives at dusk to make sure all foragers get back to their own hive.

AFB outbreaks are often localised and can often be tracked down to a single source of infectious material, be it contaminated foreign honey being fed to the bee, reuse of old and contaminated equipment, or in some more rare circumstances bees occupying old and infected feral sites or abandoned hives.
Your best approach would be to work with your local Defra bee inspector, and assist them as much as you can, and if you suspect any problems immediately get them in to inspect ( and use one of the wonderful test kits Defra now supplies to them!)
Most beekeepers never see AFB.

Swarms or in fact ANY bees, even queens you would wish to bring into your apiary ( perhaps especially imports) should be monitored for ANY signs of disease.

I disinfect, tools ( washing soda) and change gloves between colonies, will not allow any other beekeeper into my apiary unless wearing and using kit I provide ( including boots)
Any bee equipment is scrubbed torched and thoroughly sterilised ( including new kit)
I do not catch swarms, and if I did they would undergo quarantine. I make my own foundation from my own wax. Even vehicles have to be parked away from my bees, spores could come in from contaminated ground (can last for 50 years I am told!)
I am fortunate to have a buffer zone to protect ( I hope) from any filthy imports!

I hope you do not have to burn all your bee keeping kit, hives, suits and all if you are unfortunate to get contaminated, but I am sure the other beekeepers near you would be quite pleased if you did!

James

Once again many thanks for the great response. I rarely allow anyone near to my hives and swarms if found are taken to an out apiary for re-queening and checking.
I will be taking a very very close look at all my hives over the weekend and will of course notify RBI if there is anything untoward.
Hopefully the outbreak can be controlled quickly, I feel for the beeks affected.
S

Latest posts

Back