Advice please - based in Washington Tyne and Wear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Afternoon,

I have been pointed this way by Google (wonder how many have said that!!) after trying with no luck to see if we have any local beekeepers around here.

Basically I have noticed in the last few weeks bees are entering a hole in the house wall (outside - near the overflow pipe for the bathroom). Not a problem I thought.

Ive been away for a week on holiday and came home to 7 dead bees on the windowsil in my kitchen. Ive watched a bee today exit from a small gap in the skirting underneath the kitchen cupboards. They can obviously get in the house. I am a little uneasy about this, especially the amount that have came in so far. On speaking to my mum (she looked after the house in the week, she picked up 5 bees while we've been gone).

Anything we can do? Would prefer not to hurt them if possible, but don't want them in the house either. Where it came from, means they more or less have access to every cupboard in the kitchen too.

I appreciate that they wont harm, but I don't ideally want to share my house either.

Thank you

A photo would help if you can - sounds like some sort of masonry bee or the like, perfectly harmless. There are countless varieties of bees - most don't sting and they are usually gone come autumn.

Seal the hole that they are using to get into the house. They are doing this accidentally and it will help them as well as you. They could be bees, honey bees or wasps, as stated a photo of a dead one would be good!
E

The latest one has died in the sink (it was full of water poor thing) will see if I can get a decent pic of that one

Seal the hole that they are using to get into the house. They are doing this accidentally and it will help them as well as you. They could be bees, honey bees or wasps, as stated a photo of a dead one would be good!
E

I agree ... photo looks like a bumble ... after sealing up the hole that is letting them into the house just leave them alone - they'll be gone in the autumn and won't do any damage in the meantime.

Thank you! We will fill in the hole and as you say leave them alone. Poor things. Thank you for all your help!

Latest posts

Back