Adding honey to sugar feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just a thought, if I added half a jar of honey to a cold mix of sugar water feed would the anto bacterial properties stop mould...... Might try it. Surely can't do any harm.

Just a thought, if I added half a jar of honey to a cold mix of sugar water feed would the anto bacterial properties stop mould...... Might try it. Surely can't do any harm.
I doubt it will stop mould, but they find it faster!

I understood that it is the very low water (<20%) to high sugar (>80%) ratio that inhibited moulds and yeasts. No doubt there will be some who quibble over the percentages but it's there or thereabouts. If you dilute the honey in a sugar solution, what are you achieving?

I understood that it is the very low water (<20%) to high sugar (>80%) ratio that inhibited moulds and yeasts. No doubt there will be some who quibble over the percentages but it's there or thereabouts. If you dilute the honey in a sugar solution, what are you achieving?
Makes sense, thanks.

The only benefit you might have is if beneficial gut bacteria in the honey seed the sugar syrup. But that's me jumping the gun a bit on my PhD student's research.

Latest posts

Back