Adding capped Queen cells to another hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,
I have three colonies. Two are weak as they have struggled over the winter. The weak ones have little egg laying going on. With one only seeming to have closed brood and no eggs/ larvae. My third hive is thriving and upon inspection today I noticed a couple of capped and uncapped Queen cells in it. My question is this, as a way of swarm control, can I add some of the Queen cells to the weak hives? And would such an action cause an already weak hive to swarm? I spotted one Queen in one of the weak hives but not in the other.
Thanks

The questions to ask yourself are why are the colonies weak? Have they enough bees to survive until a new queen starts laying and to bring on the new brood?
You would have to remove both old queens of course

You need to find out what is going on in the hives. No eggs or larvae suggests no queen or perhaps a virgin. Have they swarmed?
Since the third hive has capped queen cells it is likely that the queen has already left with a swarm. Remove all queen cells from this hive and it will be hopelessly queen less with no way of raising a queen.
Adding a QC to a hive is unlikely to cause a hive to swarm, unless it is intending to do so anyway.
Add a QC to a hive with a virgin and she could sting the queen pupa to death or swarm.
As I said, you need a better idea of what is going on before you do anything. Perhaps start with a test frame

Latest posts

Back